Earning a Living

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Piano Teaching - Autoentreprenuer or CESU?

I am a fully qualified piano teacher with over 25 years experience of teaching beginners to diploma level and I am hoping to move to the area around Lacapelle-Biron in the near future. I would like to continue my teaching at perhaps 10 hours/week and would like to know which is the best way to go about it. Which is most advantageous for a such a small turnover, the AE or CESU? Also, would I be able to do this in my own home or must I travel to students homes? Finally, is there much of a market for my services? I can speak French well enough to teach. Thanks, R

RB
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Piano Teaching - Autoentreprenuer or CESU?

I can't advise on the business side, but suggest you could start to check out the market by looking in the Pages Jaunes for your department under "Musique et chante (leçons)."
You might find that there are several music schools around, which include piano lessons.
You can access the pages jaunes online via Google.

Report   Reply Quote

RB wrote:

I am a fully qualified piano teacher with over 25 years experience of teaching beginners to diploma level and I am hoping to move to the area around Lacapelle-Biron in the near future. I would like to continue my teaching at perhaps 10 hours/week and would like to know which is the best way to go about it. Which is most advantageous for a such a small turnover, the AE or CESU? Also, would I be able to do this in my own home or must I travel to students homes? Finally, is there much of a market for my services? I can speak French well enough to teach. Thanks, R

I did this for some years at the beginning of my time in France.
I was paid for home teaching by the Chèque Emploi system, and even have some points from that period on my Pension.
It partly depends on if you are relying on this work to get you into the Social Security system.
10 hours a week on CESU won't do it.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

When you say you were paid for home teaching, is this refering to the student's home or your own, i.e. does the CESU system only work if you work in your 'employers' home? Also, hadn't thought yet about the social security system, but how many hours are required with the CESU to enter the system?Thank you very much for your info and for Patf s'too. I have looked at an online teachers' site and they were being paid CESU, hence the original question, since I had previously thought that the AE sys. would work best. Thanks again, R

RB
   Report   Reply Quote

I visited the homes of the pupils.
I think the system in intended for help at the employer's home, such as house work, but can be extended to coaching children.
Interestingly there was a demand for Piano lessons both in English and in French, and I gave both.
I believe from memory that you need to do 60 hours a month under the CESU for a minimum period (6 months?)

There is no minimum number of hours under the AE scheme at the moment, which is why a number of early-retired people use it as a way to get into the health system.

The CESU has been going much longer, which may be why most teachers are on it.  In any case most French people will already have 'cartes vitales' and so do not have the same immediate need for a way in. I was already in the system because of other work I had been doing.
It was at the time the only way to be paid legally for small jobs, as at that period the AE scheme didn't exist.

The other thing to remember is that under the CESU the employer has to pay social charges on top of the payments made to you ,and they need a special cheque book. They receive the bill for the charges later.
Under the AE you pay your own charges out of the payments made to you.

You might consider contacting the local Foyer Rural in

Foyer rural des Jeunes (Comité des Fêtes)

Présidente : Chantal BOYER-LAMBERT
Rue Joseph Kessel
47150 LACAPELLE-BIRON
Téléphone : 05 53 75 11 25

or

Association des Parents d’Élèves de l’école de Lacapelle-Biron

Président : M. David DENTON
Ecole de Lacapelle-Biron
47150 LACAPELLE-BIRON
Téléphone : 05 53 40 85 18

To see if there is any interest in what you have to offer.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you very much indeed NormanH. You have confirmed what I had orginally thought, that the better route to employment these days would be via AE and so much other info as well about the schools and Fetes. I am coming out next summer and will make contact with the people you have mentioned and perhaps meet them then. You're a star! R
RB
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi,

Having been employed by the education dept for the last three years, this year I am teaching privately. I started by using CESU as it has advantages for the parents regarding tax deductions. However, it is 'officially' for working at their home. I am about to start small groups at my home which will not be covered under this scheme. I am thinking of registering as AE and therefore will be able to offer both methods of payment.
   Report   Reply Quote

Lollie, you may want to get better informed about the possibilities of CESU and AE.
As an AE, you cannot be paid by CESU. This is because under CESU you are being employed by someone i.e you are (very!) temporarily getting a salary from them and they are paying all your social charges, as as employer.
If you are an AE, you are then self employed and must invoice your clients and receive their payments as a business. Then you declare you earnings and pay your own social charges.

You can be an AE and get paid under CESU as a non professional and declare it accordingly but it is not as part of your business. It can and does get more complicated.
Some more info here:
http://aide-creation-entreprise.info/Auto-entrepreneur-cheque-emploi

Danny

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine