Earning a Living

Topic has 13 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

UK Graphic artist in France...What are the legal requirements?

I'm a freelence graphic artist who's recently moved to France. We've taken on a winter let while we look around for a property to buy.  UK clients are happy to continue our working relationship, which is good as 90% of my work is done via the internet. Thanks be to Broadband.

My next concern is what do I do next to register 'officially' in France...? The cost implications may have us back at Calais sooner than planned.

Anyone on the same track? I'd really appreciate some advice.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: UK Graphic artist in France...What are the legal requirements?

Depends on how much you make I guess. Auto entrepreneur is a good "simple" scheme, but it is very limited in how much you are allowed to earn. Think it's only up to €27k a year turnover which is quite limited.

Other than that, I think it gets complicated and costly. Others will know better than me.

Incidentally, I'm in the same field, but am currently in the States getting my degree in it to match the experience I already have.
Property Loire Valley.
   Report   Reply Quote

SimonR wrote:
The cost implications may have us back at Calais sooner than planned.

Why bother to register if you still have these type of thoughts? It's generally accepted that you can move here for up to six months on an "only looking basis".

If you're asking how to get into the French tax system and what it may mean financially there's a lot more information regarding family size, where you do your work and likely income levels before advice can be given.

Benjamin

A MEAL WITHOUT WINE IS CALLED BREAKFAST

Report   Reply Quote

Why bother to register if you still have these type of thoughts? It's generally accepted that you can move here for up to six months on an "only looking basis".

Where did that little gem come from, if you work in France (as self employed) you need to register ,end of.

Oh, how fine it is to know a thing or two.

Moliere

Report   Reply Quote

Autoentrepreneur is the easiest way to register, but there is a turnover limit of about 32,500€ per annum for services, such as graphic design. Once you get beyond that level then you need to register either as an individual réel (roughly equivalent to a UK sole trader) or as an EURL/SARL (variations on a Ltd). There are some other options, but they are not really cost-effective. The AE turnover based system can be very good if you have low overheads. However, if you need to attend frequent client meetings in the UK it'll be a non-starter.

Start by watching all the videos here:

http://thenakedaccountant.wordpress.com/

Lisa has moved on in the last year but the basics haven't changed. At least they will give you a basis to start asking questions.

Albert the InfoGipsy

"So welcome to the Citadel where the question is 'Am I?'"
   Report   Reply Quote

Boiling a frog wrote:
Where did that little gem come from, if you work in France (as self employed) you need to register ,end of.

I don't think anyone who frequents this forum doesn't know that you are technically correct.

All I was suggesting is that the poster may not wish to go through the upheaval of leaving one tax regime and joing another when their posting indicated that a return to the UK is still one of the options open to them. Of course, if, three years down the line, for example, they're still debating which tax system they chose to be in, then they're clearly taking the Michel.

Benjamin

A MEAL WITHOUT WINE IS CALLED BREAKFAST

Report   Reply Quote

If you are undecided and want to try living and working in France before burning your bridges I suggest you look into whether or not you can work under what was the E101 form. This allows you to continue being taxed, and to pay NI, in Britain but be accepted into the French systems on a temporary basis - and completely legally despite some of the comments above. I believe the former E101 is now one of the various A1 forms.

You have to meet certain conditions, but it sounds as if you should be OK. This gives you a year, and if all the authorities agree you can renew for another year. By then you should be able to decide whether to stay, and register your own business in France, or you may discover working in France isn't really for you.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

I believe that the E101 form is only for self employed (or employed) persons who ,because of a foreign contract(s), go to that other country on a temporary basis in order to fulfil the contract(s).

The OP is in a different position, he has chosen to move to France, he did not need to move to France to fulfil his contract, in fact he continues with the same contracts he had in the UK.

He can always check this with Revenue and Customs

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/ca3837-info.htm

Oh, how fine it is to know a thing or two.

Moliere

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine