French Language

Topic has 2 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Film, 'Un Fils à Jo'

We went to see the above film, my first visit to a French cinema for many years! It was funny, and we really enjoyed it, especially on a grey, chilly Sunday evening.

Today in our French conversation group the French tutor said they had got it totally wrong - it should be 'Un Fils de Jo'. Now she's a French national and a retired teacher, so I'd normally expect her to be right. However, the film itself and the posters and publicity in the local paper and at the cinema said 'à Jo', as did people we mentioned it to, some of whom had been to see it. Any thoughts?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Film, 'Un Fils à Jo'

She is right.
"Le fils à Joe" is grammatically incorrect, although used in colloquial French.

Clair
En Deuil - 8 Nov. 16

Share your knowledge. It is a way to achieve immortality.
Dalai Lama

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Film, 'Un Fils à Jo'

Thanks Clair, I thought it must have been something like that! I found it hard to say it with 'à'; 'de' seemed to come more naturally. It was a very popular film here last week, and lots of people at an AVF soirée were discussing it; apparently they all, male and female, loved the actor who was 'Jo'.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine