French Language

Topic has 33 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Has your English spelling gone to pot?

I was always very good at spelling in English.  Nowadays, I am experiencing unexpected problems.  I think it's to do with French and English being so alike......Stick out tongue [:P]

Wanting to spell "tranquil," I had to look it up in the dictionary as I'd written tranquille and it looked absolutely fine to me.  Until the spellcheck tells me I have got it wrong!Ick! [+o(]

Does anyone have similar problems?

I'm not too happy about all of this as I cannot imagine having now to learn to spell in English all over again!  I mean I learnt all that years ago in Primary School......!!!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Has your English spelling gone to pot?

stop uzing lawng wooordz, was wrong wiv 'peeesefool'?
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Completely normal Sweet17. It's all down to age and too much time spent abroad. I have exactly the same problem with my French (however nothing to do with age as far as I am concerned) Big Smile [:D]

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

For what it is worth I spell far better in English since I learnt French and German than ever I did at school.
   Report   Reply Quote

I think it's just an age thing sweets.

At school I was always near or at the top of the class in English and spelling but these days even some simple words have me thinking 'have have I spelt that correctly' Sad [:(]

Report   Reply Quote

Total frustration at school. Useless comments like why do you not look it up in a dictionary. Answer because if I could spell the word well enough to find it in the dictionary I would have spelt it correctly. Great joy when I first bought a Thesaurus. Even more fun with spell checkers on PCs. Provided you treat UK English and Amerenglish as two languages no problems
   Report   Reply Quote

Beware Sweet, for the next stage is when you can't remember the right English word to use never mind the spelling,and  you  then start splattering the odd French word into your supposedly English conversation/prose/ letters..

When or if you realise what you've done you suddenly feel that you must sound so twee-ly pretentious to some people or to those who do know you're not being affected you risk being seen as forgetful and gallopping towards gaga-land.

Methinks 'tis best  not to think about it and just to tip-toe gaily on in absentedmindedness,  n'est-ce pas?

Report   Reply Quote

medicine and medecine

no idea which is for which country and my spelling is lousy anyway.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine