Earning a Living

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Idea [I]

Can I start an AE whilst working?

Hi

I am planning to start my new business here in France. I would like to provide services and advice to French and Expats. The trouble is I'm not confident I can being in enough revenue to survive for the first couple of years.

Can I continue to work in my normal job and set up and run a business at the same time?

It will take a long time for me to build up a client base.

If yes How do I declare my Taxes? as normal or through the AE system.

Does my annual income count towards my max turnover of 32500eu?
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Can I start an AE whilst working?

Sorry but this post has made me smile, you are asking us for advice when you are going to be setting up an advice service for expats and charging them.

Actually 'I'm out'.
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
Sorry but this post has made me smile, you are asking us for advice when you are going to be setting up an advice service for expats and charging them. Actually 'I'm out'.

I can't see why it made you smile? The OP did not say what sort of advice he was providing, it could be raising chickens or making model aircraft or where to buy G9 bulbs.

Report   Reply Quote
Idea [I]

I am stuck on this question though and I would appreciate a little help.
Maybe from someone who knows the procedure a little better.

Idun: Fair Point!
We all have to start from somewhere though and It would be very arrogant to assume I knew everything.
And you can always find out if you ask nicely.
   Report   Reply Quote

Don't mind Idunce.

I'm sure you can work under the AE scheme as long as your total income is below the €32500 limit.

Report   Reply Quote

The AE scheme was set up just so that enterprising people in full-time employment could legally start a small business on the side, with the hope that it would grow into a full-scale business. Total income is irrelevant, it's the AE income that is limited.

The only thing that isn't clear is whether the OP's main job is in France or not. I think a French AE business alongside English employment, for example, would be a non-starter, for various reasons.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Will wrote:
The only thing that isn't clear is whether the OP's main job is in France or not. I think a French AE business alongside English employment, for example, would be a non-starter, for various reasons.

Could you expand on that, Will? Assuming that everything is duly declared, that the AE work is actually done in France and that the OP has a French address I can't see any show-stoppers in the rules.

Albert the InfoGipsy

"So welcome to the Citadel where the question is 'Am I?'"
   Report   Reply Quote

rmelrose, all the evidence points to many more Brits selling up and leaving France, than arriving, so one needs to be cautious about relying on the Brit expat market. With little sign of the £ regaining it's strength against the euro, falling UK house prices and the weak state of the British economy, it is unlikely we will see a recovery in Brits buying French property, for some time.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine