Earning a Living

Topic has 29 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Teaching English (CELTA) no previous experience/qualifications

Hi there, I am currently trying to piece together my future/career, so I'm not 100% sure on everything at the moment. I'm applying to do a CELTA qualification next summer, and then move out to France some time in early 2013. As I said, I am not definite on anything right now, and not set on a certain career or area to live in, so apologies if this seems unrealistic/vague etc.

I have 11 GCSE's and 3 A levels (AAA English Lit, History, Religious Studies) but no other qualifications. I also have no previous teaching experience (only work experience I have is in administration, a managerial role, and several other waitressing/retail jobs)

I guess my main question is, is it possible to be able to teach English as a foreign language in france with no previous experience and just a CELTA qualification? What other job opportunities are open to me, if any?

Just to add, my level of french is currently basic, but I hope to have it to a fluent (or near enough!) level by the time I go over there. I also realise this is quite far in advance! I am full of ideas at the moment but have nowhere to take them!

Thanks for any help or advice!

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Teaching English (CELTA) no previous experience/qualifications

Emma Louise, I hate to pour cold water on your scheme but, as far as I know, you will find it difficult to earn a living teaching English as a foreign language.

For starters, you would have to live in a large city, Paris, Marseilles, to find a full-time job.  The downside is that accommodation is expensive in large cities.

You'd stand a better chance if you had a teaching qualification AS WELL AS a Celta.  I am speaking as one who has TESOL plus a first class honours degree in Linguistics but then I must admit I wasn't really jobhunting!!!

I'm sorry if my answer disappoints but someone or other will be telling you more or less the same thing soon.....

Apologies!!!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Of course! It's not dissapointing at all to be honest, I was expecting it to be so. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate the honesty! I'd rather know what I'm betting with to begin with, than find out the hard way 4 years down the line!
   Report   Reply Quote

I think that it would depend as to where you moved really. My friend had as much work as she wanted really, not as good a qualifications as you either, but good french too and she was never cheap.

If you move somewhere dynamic, Paris, Lille, Lyon, Grenoble etc etc then I daresay that you would find work. Cost of housing and living is also dearer in the cities, something else to think about.

Report   Reply Quote

I was thinking somewhere like Montpellier, but I would be open to options really. Money isn't too much of an issue, I've been saving for years so would have enough to get me by for a while until I found something. Did your friend do it temporarily of permanently? and in what sort of places/age did she teach? I wasn't sure if schools were an option, so though maybe joining and agency that employs you as a personal tutor?

Thanks!
   Report   Reply Quote

Emma Louise wrote:
Hi there, I am currently trying to piece together my future/career, so I'm not 100% sure on everything at the moment. I'm applying to do a CELTA qualification next summer, and then move out to France some time in early 2013. As I said, I am not definite on anything right now, and not set on a certain career or area to live in, so apologies if this seems unrealistic/vague etc. I have 11 GCSE's and 3 A levels (AAA English Lit, History, Religious Studies) but no other qualifications. I also have no previous teaching experience (only work experience I have is in administration, a managerial role, and several other waitressing/retail jobs) I guess my main question is, is it possible to be able to teach English as a foreign language in france with no previous experience and just a CELTA qualification? What other job opportunities are open to me, if any? Just to add, my level of french is currently basic, but I hope to have it to a fluent (or near enough!) level by the time I go over there. I also realise this is quite far in advance! I am full of ideas at the moment but have nowhere to take them! Thanks for any help or advice!

Hi Emma Louise,

I am answering the part of your post,  that I've highlighted;

Answer;

Probably, none that would be rewarding!

Leo.

( Can you wear a morning suit in the afternoon)
   Report   Reply Quote

My friend worked in schools and with the Chambre de Commerce. All ages actually. People would ask her to do english with their kids and as I say, she was not cheap. She never made a fortune either as when she had her own kids she would fit this in with family life. But she certainly made enough to make it feel worth while.

Report   Reply Quote

Welcome to the Forum, E-L. 

Private lessons are possible but won't make you a fortune.  I am not convinced that it can be a principal income.

First, adults.  There is a huge demand for English lessons from the French, who regret not having learned more at school.  The problem is that they start with lessons in an enthusiastic manner and give up as soon as they realise that it is difficult to learn a language, so you have to work hard to keep adult pupils for longer than a year.  However dynamic your lessons are, they drift off but there are plenty to replace them if you have a good reputation.

Next children.  French parents really want their children to speak English and so there is a demand for tuition.  A lot of this is home based and you have to factor in driving time and petrol costs.

Nous ne pouvons pas tous faire de grandes choses, mais nous pouvons faire des petites choses avec beaucoup d’amour.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine