French Language

Topic has 3 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Victoria Sponge Cake

I once served this to a French friend and she said something like 'oh, un genoîse, or something like this.  Could someone tell me the correct translation and spelling please? 

Merci d'avance.

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Victoria Sponge Cake

Yes, I have also been told that my victoria sponge was like a genoise cake.

What I do is tell them it is a gateau la reine which is what we eat for Epiphany instead of gateau le roi although we don't have a fèvre in ours.

I told them it was named after la reine Victoria because she loved it with le thé anglais....(don't know if it's true but it's some story that I have read somewhere).

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

How do you make your victoria sponges, they could well be like a genoise.

I would say that in general, and there are so many recipes availabe, that a genoise was a fatless sponge, or had only a tiny bit of butter in it.

The Quatre Quart is more like the traditional sponge recipe I use for a victoria sandwich, with equal measurements of butter, SR flour and sugar.

If you use the latter recipe and they say it is like a genoise, then you will be making very nice light cakes, so what could be betterBig Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

The quatre quarts are much heavier than a Mrs G victoria sponge.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine