The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 27 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Canal du Midi

Sad to read this article this morning about the fungus affecting the canalside trees - they are so much a part of the canal itself

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jul/27/french-axe-thousands-plane-trees?INTCMP=SRCH

Brian (again)

Report   Reply Quote

Re: Canal du Midi

It has been a problem in France for years now. Very sad to hear that these ones are now so damaged.

We lost every tree on our Place de la Mairie and they replanted new ones, eventually. The trees ill health was due to bad, is it 'pollarding'?over many many years, apparently more like butchering than doing it properly.

Report   Reply Quote

Oh my Dawg!

• This article was amended on 28 July 2011. The original referred to the most beautiful canapé of plane trees in Europe. This has been corrected.

Taking two weeks in Sallèles d'Aude in august, amongst other things will check out the trees on the midi, junction and robine.

Report   Reply Quote

I believe it is a fungal infection
" Un champignon, le chancre coloré (ceratocystisplatani), a infesté les plantations emblématiques de platanes sur les berges du site et menacent la stabilité des arbres. Pour des raisons de sécurité, ils pourraient être abattus. "
http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/environnement/les-42-000-platanes-du-canal-du-midi-menaces_1003308.html

I know the canal well (I see it every day) and having had a chance recently to compare it with the canal de Rhone à Sete where there are no trees I hate to think what it will be like.

I believe there is a project to put up plastic replacements , but that may be a 'poisson d'avril'

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I live near the Canal du Midi too, and have my boat there. We have been sailing the canals since 1980.

I fail to understand what VNF are trying to do, but I'm beginning to cotton on.

They poison infected trees by injecting them to hasten their demise. The trees they inject don't look anywhere near being on the point of falling down or being even slightly dangerous. There are many trees covered in ivy, which will eventually kill them, but this is totally ignored.

Gangs of people with big machinery eventually come to cut down the trees. After felling them they laboriously cut them up on the canal bank, with (presumably infected) chippings going everywhere, then make a big show of wrapping the logs in plastic sheet to cart them down the road a short way to make a big bonfire with them.

I think the big clue is that somebody is making a lot of money out of this operation.

They put up ludicrous signs saying they are saving the trees by cutting them down. In truth, I think someone's brother-in-law is making a fortune.

Here is a friend's website dedicated to the subject http://www.canaldumidi.net:80/

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

Could you get your friend to amend the red-on-green text, nomoss?
I'd love to read it, but the effect of the bold red on bright green makes it impossible. (I don't know if it's due to different focal lengths of the two colours - but I bet somebody else will come along to tell me.)

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

I can try, Loiseau, but I don't see him often, he moves around quite a lot.

Also, he accesses the internet from his boat via a very limited service, which is all he can afford, so I don't think he can edit the site at will.

Only the first couple of paragraphs are in red on green, the rest is somewhat more readable.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

nomoss wrote:

I live near the Canal du Midi too, and have my boat there. We have been sailing the canals since 1980.

I fail to understand what VNF are trying to do, but I'm beginning to cotton on.

They poison infected trees by injecting them to hasten their demise. The trees they inject don't look anywhere near being on the point of falling down or being even slightly dangerous. There are many trees covered in ivy, which will eventually kill them, but this is totally ignored.

Gangs of people with big machinery eventually come to cut down the trees. After felling them they laboriously cut them up on the canal bank, with (presumably infected) chippings going everywhere, then make a big show of wrapping the logs in plastic sheet to cart them down the road a short way to make a big bonfire with them.

I think the big clue is that somebody is making a lot of money out of this operation.

They put up ludicrous signs saying they are saving the trees by cutting them down. In truth, I think someone's brother-in-law is making a fortune.

Here is a friend's website dedicated to the subject http://www.canaldumidi.net:80/

Perhaps normal sources of financing the poisonous dwarf are drying up.Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]

http://www.lemonde.fr/politique/article/2011/07/29/gueant-et-sarkozy-mis-en-cause-pour-des-contrats-avec-la-libye-en-2007_1553990_823448.html#ens_id=1523890

http://www.mediapart.fr/journal/international/280711/les-documents-takieddine-sarkozygueant-le-grand-soupcon-libyen

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine