French Language

Topic has 16 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Comme même?

Can anyone explain what 'comme même' means at the end of a sentence? I hear it all the time when my neighbours are talking and I would like to use it myself (if I only knew what it meant!)
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Comme même?

I think you mean quand même which means "all the same" or similar, see the link below.

http://fr.bab.la/dictionnaire/francais-anglais/quand-meme

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote
Smile [:)]

How bizarre as I was about to pose the same question. I hear it alot and again yesterday when someone was paying for their meal so I was guessing that they were saying that the meal was very good - as usual. Maybe someone will put me straight on this so that I can start using it !

Chris
“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.” Anatole France
   Report   Reply Quote

I think more likely that it was very good despite something...the price or the slow service or something

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Big Smile [:D]
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Its not a phrase that survives a literal translation (when same!) it has many uses and often people will just throw it in because they are incapable of stringing together a literate sentence, much like "voila" , "et puis voila" "et ben..... donc..... voila", "mais bon"etc.

In the instance quoted above it probably means it was a good meal nonetheless or nevertheless, i.e; despite the crap service, your general air of disinterest or that the cook appeared to be twelve years old, if you get my meaning.

I have also heard it expressed as surprise, i.e if someone scores a lucky point at petanque etc, its something that you pick up when to use without ever really being able to explain how or why and especially translate it.

TizzyLizzy you say that you would like to use it if only you knew what it means, I understand where you are coming from but dependant on where you live it is perhaps not advisable to blindly mimic what you hear as you may well end up sounding like an abruti and people may assume that you are one.

Report   Reply Quote

woolybanana wrote:

I think you mean quand même which means "all the same" or similar,

I disagree with "similar" Wooly, I have never heard it being used even remotely in that manner.

Report   Reply Quote

As you know, I never hazard an opinion on anything but let the dictionary speak for me.
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine