French Language

Topic has 11 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

That pesky word, "convenable"....

I have yet to use this word in a well....."convenable" way!  I have used it to mean, appropriate, OK, acceptable such as:

Cet hotel est convenable pour les magasins?  And been met with blank looks until I explain that I mean whether the hotel is "convenient" for the shops.

I have had it explained to me a couple of times by French people but I would really like to know how a non NATIVE French speaker uses it and whether it has been understood.

Please help as I rather like the word and would love to use it appropriately or "convenably"Big Smile [:D]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: That pesky word, "convenable"....

Convenable = suitable or appropriate. Sometimes 'reasonable', 'proper' or 'decent'.

So not 'convenient' ('commode', 'pratique' or in your example 'bien situé pour les magasins/près des commerces').

Try your favourite dictionary for further details.. Smile [:)]

@+

Andrew 44

Report   Reply Quote

You're right, Andrew, practique is the word to use.  I knew that but I just wanted to know how other people used it.  Dictionaries are wonderful things but sometimes you need to hear it in use by other people.
   Report   Reply Quote

I use it to mean fitting, decent, proper etc.

After a decent interval, après une période convenable.

Do the only right (honourable) thing, faire la seule chose convenable.

Cathy

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
   Report   Reply Quote

Are you sure Cat, you never do anything qui n'est pas très convenable ?   Big Smile [:D]

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Often Christine, often :)

Cathy

Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat them.
   Report   Reply Quote

My mother was obsessed with looking "convenable" - i.e. presentable.

I interpreted it as being prim and proper.

"pas convenable" also means bad-mannered.

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, Cat, Christine and 5-e. 

Now I think I have a clearer idea of how the word is used.  I met a Parisien in our village yesterday whilst dog walking and we got to talking about this and that (as one does in a small village).

He was dressed only in the briefest pair of swimming trunks but he WAS doing some gardening in what he explained was his mother's house and it WAS extremely hot.

We talked about several subjects and the word "convenable" came up, can't remember now in what context but I used it wrongly as usual.  He explained in his best English that it can sometimes refer to someone's behaviour!

Aaarrrggghhh, was it convenable, I mean my talking to a man so scantily clothed in full view of anyone walking past?Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine