French Language

Topic has 14 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Errors in grammar in French newspapers

Don't count on using your local newspaper as a model of French.
Ours (MidiLibre) is often full of glaring errors!

Today a headline read
'La machine à replacer la main d'oeuvre' Woot! [:-))]

I think it was based on the 'machine à vendager' pattern, but the sense indicated clearly that it should have been
'La machine a remplacé....' Angry [:@]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Errors in grammar in French newspapers

Good! I do not know how to decortique french and could easily make that mistake. Midi Libre, Guardian, some journalists are not as good with les lettres as perhaps they should be.Woot! [:-))]

Report   Reply Quote

Until Le Monde gives up having odd bits of Classical Greek on its front page,just to put the plebs in their place, I am not going to read it. With the exceptions of the Independant, Guardian and FT every English daily newspaper now seems to have a reading age of under 12.
   Report   Reply Quote

My neighbour gives us his local paper the day after he gets it and during the summer I felt very well informed about local stuff. (I also felt it improved my French, though to be honest new vocabulary is quite often in one ear and out the other these days.)
But I'd often have to read a longer sentence two or three times to get the sense of it, I think due to its journalese way of writing. I used to be good at spotting spelling or grammar errors in newspapers, occasionally miss them now. Norman, not much wrong with your observation skills.

Report   Reply Quote

It's easier to read a well-written book than to read a newspaper, as in English.
It is very hard to explain the newspeak in tabloid headlines to French students..

Gone the days of "Sick Transit's Glorious Monday' Big Smile [:D]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Le Canard Enchaine will no doubt pick it up !!!
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Surely, Norman, the example you cite is a good example of Gallic humour!
Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Confused [8-)]  Gallic humour ....

Sorry Blush [:$] this French lass has lost any meaning or understanding in translation ...

Whether grammatical errors are made in French or in English, in even the best of publications, when you have a young future king, Eton educated, presenting his intended wife at a gathering of Welsh dignitaries as : 'Me and Catherine etc...' there is not much hope for us the plebs Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine