Earning a Living

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Can unemployed British people claim the RSA?

I always thought that the RSA was only for people who had worked in France, or had been born here, but having been told of a chap who lives locally and has just claimed ( successfully he claims) I started to ask myself the question.
According to this
http://www.rsa.gouv.fr/Quelles-sont-les-conditions-d.html
it looks possible, and trying the test of eligibility I came up with 411€ for a single person with no other income.

If this is correct, it rather drives a coach and horses through the argument about 'inactifs' not being allowed to stay so as not to be a burden on the French state...

Can anyone see any holes in my reasoning?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Can unemployed British people claim the RSA?

Hmm. I had always understood, as you had, that this was not possible - at least until one had been here 5 years, after which time the member state is obliged to treat an EU citizen as its own in Soc Sec terms, afaik.  There is an "ATTENTION" paragraph - at which time I guess the applicant should be referred to the Free Movement Principal which states that one cannot be a burden on the state for those first five years. .

On the other hand, is the second link assuming that one has worked at some time in France since it's all under the RSA umbrella and it's made clear that this is for those who have worked in the earlier pages?

I'm just musing here but it's interesting.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

I would think there is more to this than meets the eye. His circumstances may be something he has not divulged to friends but only to the authorities or even wrong info. I don't think it is awarded willy nilly to everyone who applies for it without a fair bit of investigation first.
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
I always thought that the RSA was only for people who had worked in France, or had been born here, but having been told of a chap who lives locally and has just claimed ( successfully he claims) I started to ask myself the question.
According to this
http://www.rsa.gouv.fr/Quelles-sont-les-conditions-d.html
it looks possible, and trying the test of eligibility I came up with 411€ for a single person with no other income.
If this is correct, it rather drives a coach and horses through the argument about 'inactifs' not being allowed to stay so as not to be a burden on the French state...
Can anyone see any holes in my reasoning?

From the site that you linked to, it says that in order to receive RSA, yopu have to meet certain conditions:

CONDITIONS DE REGULARITE ET DE DUREE DU SEJOUR

Les ressortissants communautaires et suisses doivent remplir les conditions de droit au séjour. Les étrangers hors espace économique européen doivent justifier d'une résidence régulière en France non interrompue depuis au moins cinq ans (sauf situations particulières). 

The conditions governing the right to remain in France are detailed in the pdf document below

www.gisti.org/IMG/pdf/norimim1000116c.pdf

and the actual law is here

It would seem to me that this requires people to support themselves for 5 years before being eligible for RSA

Pickles

Regards
Pickles

'Inactives' must have own resources at least equal to the amount of RSA thereby disqualifying themselves from claiming.  However, after five years legal residence, the resource condition no longer applies and they become free to make a claim.

Note that since the introduction of a new immigration law in July of this year, inactive EU citizens who do not meet the required resource/health insurance requirements lose their right of legal stay and the authorities can order their removal from French territory...Woot! [:-))] 

Report   Reply Quote

Angry [:@]Well I know he has owned a house here for about 10 years, but only used it very occasionally. it was bought from another English alcoholic (who has now died of drink) for the equivalent of €7000
So occasionally that it was squatted, then the front was burned by a car set on fire (yes that's the sort of area we live in)
He phoned from England to ask the local Mediator to have it boarded up, but still was away for another 6 months.
He has now applied for a council grant to repair the property and says that he has just been told he can have €7000 for the façade, as it was burned (but of course he hadn't insured it!)

If he has spent a year here in those 10 years that is a generous estimate.

I think he has probably claimed that he has spent all the 10 years  here, but how he explains that he has never filled in a tax return I don't know.
I know he has  asked for a Carte Vitale, and now the RSA, but was previously working in a factory in the North of England and living in a council flat, just coming over from time to time.
He tells me he has an English speaking advisor at the CAF

It galls me to see this sort of abuse (as I think it is) when there are plenty of people worrying them selves sick about their health cover and how to manage.

I asked the question because I wondered if I had misunderstood the regulations, but I think that fiddling is the most likely answer.

Angry [:@]Angry [:@]Angry [:@]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Maybe he is lying,senile or living in fantasy land. No way would our maire or any other official here give money to a property owner to repair a façade that was damaged( and he should have had insurance anyway) without it being an official loan with interest agreed by the council for the payback, there would be a huge outcry from the locals if they discovered this. I don't believe any of what he has told you because I know for a fact that even the CAF will go through everything thoroughly and demand copies of previous avis d'Impôt before anything else.
   Report   Reply Quote

...Maybe he is lying,senile or living in fantasy land.... sounds just like our maire.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine