French Language

Topic has 7 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

I was just wondering...

I was just wondering if there is a good French translation for the slightly diffident, “I was just wondering …”

Report   Reply Quote

Re: I was just wondering...

J'étais en train de me demander or je me demandais.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

I think I could well use reflechir and maybe even penser instead of demander. Although I think that I have used demander too. 

Is there any reason why these alternatives would not be right.

Report   Reply Quote

Would you provide some more context, please? It may depend on how it's being used.

For instance,

"Are you open on Sunday? I was just wondering" (curious)

may be different from

"I was just wondering why the roof is red"
(thinking to oneself)
http://nycfrance.com
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the suggestions. The context I am thinking of is usually when asking a favour of some kind, rather along the lines of, "I was wondering if you could water my plants" or tentatively suggesting somethiong as in,  "I was just wondering whether you would like to come with me..." - that sort of thing. Is there a difference in phrasing when including the "just"?
   Report   Reply Quote

Demander, for the plants, something like 'puis-je vous demander un petit service'.

I can think of lots of ways to ask if someone fancies going somewhere with me. Don't just get stuck with 'just wondering'.

vous avez envie de venir avec moi, perhaps, or using interesse. 

Report   Reply Quote

I'm with you, Idun.  I think it's an easy trap to fall into, to imagine that the same expressions exist in different languages.  It's a bit of an odd concept, asking ones-self what the other person wants or is prepared to do so it doesn't necessarily translate very well directly.

But Christine's way works fine.  I'd still be inclined to say something completely different, as per Idun.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

You can also say, depending on the context

Je me disais que peut-être ça vous ferait plaisir, etc.

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine