French Language

Topic has 6 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

De l'esbroufe

This expression was new to me when one of my friends used it today about the new (and ugly) bus stop just installed opposite the Mairie
http://www.midilibre.fr/2013/09/18/un-abribus-surprenant-sur-la-place-du-forum,758648.php

Apparently the expression implies something like 'humbug' 'bluff',  a loud way of distracting people...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: De l'esbroufe

Norman, it reminds me of the expression "tape-à-l'oeil", (bling-bling) - something destined to impress and show off.

Report   Reply Quote

I thought that tape a l'oeil was used to describe a looker, stunner etc, not bling bling.

Bling bling now exists in the French language thanks to the ex president!!

Report   Reply Quote

What we might call 'all show'...or more vulgarly 'all fur coat and no knickers' Big Smile [:D]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
... about the new (and ugly) bus stop just installed opposite the Mairie

The new bus shelter is certainly going to take some getting used to, surrounded as it is by established, well-proportioned buildings.
The shelter looks as though it is leaning forward, almost ready to fall apart. Is that called built-in obsolescence ?

Sue

Computing - it's another world
   Report   Reply Quote

I fear it is a symbol of the present state of the town.....

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
I fear it is a symbol of the present state of the town.....

That might, unfortunately be true.  I've never really liked Beziers .... always seems a bit seedy and down at heel, even around the hotel de ville where some of the  buildiings are quite elegant, I do agree.

As for the structure itself, it looks like the next strong wind will blow it down.  By no stretch of the imagination can it be called an elegant solution, and we've all seen plenty of elegant bus shelters in France.  I wonder how long before it gets the inevitable graffiti, which at least would make it look a bit better and brighter!!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine