French Education

Topic has 15 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Bourse & CAF for university students

We have two English youngsters who have come through Lycée, College and Primary School in France and are now studying at university. They are both receiving CAF (as they don't live at home with us) and Bourse assistance as we are all resident in France.
My wife and I are now thinking it is time to return to the UK, but are wondering what effect this might have on the status of our children and their eligibility for support if I no longer make a French tax declaration.
Can anyone advise on whether CAF and Bourse payments would still be available to our children if I am no longer a resident tax-payer in France?

Best wishes,
Nick
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: Bourse & CAF for university students

What ages are they, and what sort of help from the CAF?

There is a useful page
http://www.caf.fr/aides-et-services/s-informer-sur-les-aides/solidarite-et-insertion

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Aged 20 and 18, they get assistance for accommodation expenses - around 200e/month

Nick
   Report   Reply Quote

So it is the APL? the Allocation Logement, not one of the other allowances.
The official page for that says:

L'APL peut être attribuée à toute personne :

• quelle que soit sa situation familiale, avec ou sans personne à charge,

• quelle que soit sa nationalité, sous réserve de justifier être en situation régulière par la production d'un titre de séjour pour les personnes étrangères, ou qui remplissent les conditions exigées pour résider régulièrement en France s'agissant des ressortissants de l'espace économique européen (EEE),

• quelle que soit sa situation professionnelle.

Aucune condition d'âge minimum n'est exigée

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F12006.xhtml

For some other allowances (RSA for example) there is a minimum age.

On the other hand I am not sure about how they would justify having enough income to live in France independently, and how they would be covered for health if they don't come under your cover.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought that students had to pay something towards their health care anyway, if this is so, wouldn't they be covered?????

Report   Reply Quote

It is an area I don't know about I must confess.

- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

"]I thought that students had to pay something towards their health care anyway, if this is so, wouldn't they be covered?????"

Our eldest is 19, at CPGE He is in the LMDE (Sante des Etudiants) for health cover and is still under us for the CMU (we pay the charges) and the CA top up insurance which we pay. The only thing he pays for is the visits to the Doctor/Medcines etc which he then gets the usual percentage back. He is in "rooms" so does not claim for accommodation, but he gets a "Bourse", which is based on the distance from us to the Lycée and our revenue index off the French tax form.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you to everyone for comments so far.

My children have same health cover arrangements as mentioned by you here. This is one of the concerns I have about leaving the French system myself: if I am no longer in the CMU and have no mutuelle cover, I presume my children will need to pay something into LMDE and have their own mutuelle top-up cover.

However my main concern is whether they can still get CAF & Bourse without me being in the French system and having taxed status in France. Does anyone have an answer on this one?

Nick

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine