Latest Good Value Deals to/from France

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Eurotunnel Fares -v- Ferries

We always use Eurotunnel now mainly because we take the dog with us and you can sit in your car for the 35 minutes and be comfortable. The price is more but when I recently checked some of the ferries (we want to go from Portsmouth as we are in the area the day before we travel to France in October), after you have added a cabin or whatever to the cost it is nearly as much, if not more than the chunnel.

Although we have had the car searched before getting on the train, we have (fingers crossed) never had a problem being stopped at the other end as you always drive straight off the train and onto the roads. I think this has to be the more civilised way to travel from our point of view as I am not a good sailor either Ick! [+o(]

Carol

Carol
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Carol, interested in how much it costs you to drive from Portsmouth to Folkstone and back? if you add that to the tunnel price how does it compare?

Also if you are travelling south  in France, what about the extra fuel cost to get from Calais to and from le Havre or the like and also the extra toll money. Add that lot up and I am sure the ferry is not that bad, then although the tunnel is only 35 mins ish you have probably an extra two hours from Portsmouth to the port and two back, also on the French side a couple more each hours way.

Sounds hard work for the driver and the wallet.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

teapot wrote:

Hi Carol, interested in how much it costs you to drive from Portsmouth to Folkstone and back? if you add that to the tunnel price how does it compare?

Also if you are travelling south  in France, what about the extra fuel cost to get from Calais to and from le Havre or the like and also the extra toll money. Add that lot up and I am sure the ferry is not that bad, then although the tunnel is only 35 mins ish you have probably an extra two hours from Portsmouth to the port and two back, also on the French side a couple more each hours way.

Sounds hard work for the driver and the wallet.

My husband is the main driver and it was his idea to drive to Folkestone, I am not a good sailor and he is also nervous about putting the car onto a ferry and leaving it whereas on the shuttle you can at least sit in your car.  The shuttle is costing £140 and the ferry we were quoted cost £425.50 so quite a difference even with the cost of the tolls and the diesel cost I think we are still in budget Smile [:)]

Carol
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Carol, thanks for the reply, yep if your O/H is willing to drive then it looks a pretty good. I recon from my experience your total travel cost is probably around £250 maybe just over depends on what your driving of course, so your still saving.

Just to mention your O/H does not like putting the car on the ferry, almost everytime I have used the tunnel, people forget to take their cars out of gear before starting and bump the one in front.

Shame you aren't a better sailor as you could use the Transmanche ferry out of Newhaven.

Bon Voyage  

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

We have no choice as all the family live in the west country so it is Roscoff to Plymouth everytime. A six and a half crossing and also a five and a half hour drive to Roscoff so flying is sometimes the best option. We sometimes hire a car in UK at Bristol airport and it still works out cheaper than the ferry taking the cost of fuel into consideration on this side of the water as well.
   Report   Reply Quote

Having used the Tunnel over 50 return trips I have never heard of people "Bumping" into the car in front Teapot, but when working in Customer Complaints Dept of camping company frequently heard of scrapes and knocks on ferries (usually poor driving).
   Report   Reply Quote

Rascalb wrote:
Having used the Tunnel over 50 return trips I have never heard of people "Bumping" into the car in front Teapot, but when working in Customer Complaints Dept of camping company frequently heard of scrapes and knocks on ferries (usually poor driving).

At least I know it was n't you parked behind me then. On ferries I have seen the odd scrape usually by the owners of dare I say it Caravans, but that serves them right for dragging their houses around with them. Long live Top Gear!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine