Driving in France

Topic has 28 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Car accident. Valuation of RHD car

Well I wish you all the best with it, much as I like my Picasso I don't quite love it the way I did the Espace, but the time had come......it had to go...
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I don't know how it works in France but if they are basing their offer on auction value, which is what it sounds like, then can you refuse the money and tell them to buy you one identical to the one you have been deprived of instead ?

Report   Reply Quote

ANOTHER UPDATE!

The assesor won't budge on the valuation because he said that RHD cars are not worth anything in France. Our insurance brokers are saying that they can only go by what the assessor says. We are now trying to discuss this with the actual insurance company - Generali.

It's looking like I would have been better off spending my money on a LHD 206 and squeezing the children's car seats in a 3 door car.

I now have the horrible decision of whether to buy a LHD or RHD. Whatever I choose is going to be expensive but going for LHD is really totally beyond our budget so I guess there is no big decision there!!!

So much for paying for insurance for a RHD car; your car can be written off through no fault of your own and you end up wiith nothing!

Still fuming!!!

Lotmontel
   Report   Reply Quote

Thats apalling.

If it is common practice then all those with RHD should only ever insure 3rd party costing the insurance companies far more in lost revenue than they would ever pay out in claims.

Either that or get a written agreed valuation before accepting the policy.

Am PM'ing you also.

Report   Reply Quote

Now let's put this in perspective.

You have not ended up with nothing for your car, you said that the offer was 12% less than its value in an old Glasses Guide and I will bet my bottom dollar that you didnt use the trade or auction price.

You would probably have been offered less had you been insured in the UK, if the assessors opinion is that RHD cars are worth nothing in France and there are plenty on this forum (not I) that eschew that view then he must like you to have come up with the figure he did.

I would be telling myself that I had done rather well in the circumstances, OK thats a bit harsh, you didnt ask to be involved in an accident but life is like that, if it werent we would not have insurance.

Report   Reply Quote

Well Chancer, I would be asking my broker if RHD are worth nothing, did he discount the original policy accordingly ?  I'd also be asking him if a like for like policy is available for next time round.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

I remember having the conversation with Mr Smily Shark AXA agent, he promised me that in the event of an accident they woud use the Argus value without discriminating against RHD, when I told him I didnt believe him and would he kindly confirm it in writing he changed his tune, you are going to love this................

"If they were to decide a lower value for any reason then you can trust me to step in on your behalf" Woot! [:-))]

Mmmm....... trust, tied insurance agent, AXA..............  they dont sit well together.

I now only have responsibilité tiers as ANO suggested.

Report   Reply Quote

Hi All
Had an accident myself in Orleans Dec 17th in the snow. Insuance company wrote it off gave me £4700 for a 2004 Picasso. I bought it back for £1400 and repared it for £3000 using non genuine and some used parts. How much damage is there? Mine hit a tree.
Live long and Prosper
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine