Earning a Living

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: A glimmer of hope?

What puzzles me, is that when I lived en France there were so few, if any, opportunities for work (teaching/translating) despite my degrees and experience.
In the UK this month alone e mails have been flying for me to do paternity leave, adult education etc and these are jobs paying over 1k a week. (All I need is a qualification and far more importantly a CRB check.)
However, none of these jobs has yet been advertised, it's all word of mouth from colleagues, which got me thinking - there must also have been many jobs for me in France, but it comes down to WHO you know, not WHAT you know.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: A glimmer of hope?

Celine, you have highlighted a very good point that seems to be overlooked by people moving to France seeking work. In that networking has always been an important component of job hunting and that in moving to France you are not going to have the network that you have probably built up in the UK over a lifetime.

Also the UK is more cosmopolitain and accepting of foreign workers, whereas in France dare I say a French person will always be given priority.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine