Earning a Living

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:
Kiss [kiss]

Re: Good idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

IDUN-Harsh! This is a forum and I just expressed 'a view'. This is how it was for us-don't see how you can argue with that.
'Get out while you can'-while you are young enough;while you have the energy and while you have the wherewithal.
   Report   Reply Quote

britoninbretagne wrote:
IDUN-Harsh! This is a forum and I just expressed 'a view'. This is how it was for us-don't see how you can argue with that.

'Get out while you can'-while you are young enough;while you have the energy and while you have the wherewithal.

Maybe britoninbretagne's view of the uk , is the opposite of  the young ambitious  french  !

as, over the last few years, the above" highlighted"  statement, has been grasped by thousands  of  intelligent young French people who now live and work in the uk!

Leo.

( Can you wear a morning suit in the afternoon)
   Report   Reply Quote

It's interesting that of those who report sucess in French education with their offspring, it appears to me that most have girls.  My son was failed by french education despite starting at the age of 3 and staying  with it until age 9, came out as Idun reports, with very low self esteem and almost apologises his existance at times.  He was an outgoing and frankly cocky toddler but 6 years in France changed him.  He experienced racism from teachers and other boys (note always boys) and generally found the rote learning and silent classes boring.

So do girl fair better I wonder, as girls tend to rally around, perhaps even mother those that are different?

For the OP  I think 14 is too late to change schools, he's about to make choices at GCSE, do you really think he can be as successful in a foreign language and take serious life changing exams in just a couple of years.

Report   Reply Quote

Panda wrote:

For the OP  I think 14 is too late to change schools, he's about to make choices at GCSE, do you really think he can be as successful in a foreign language and take serious life changing exams in just a couple of years.

I agree, Panda.  My own personal experience of this was a complete disaster in the education department (not that ultimately it mattered career-wise but that's another story.)  I moved abroad when I was 13 and two years later moved back to the UK because the "dream" didn't work out for my parent.  Even in an English speaking country with a UK based exam system and curriculum it was really tough to get into a new school, make new friends, and have to do exams and stuff as well. 

My BiL's kids have all gone back to the UK to complete their educations, even though their father works at a uni' over here.  He is very scathing about the school system this side of the channel.

"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

If you look back at posts in the education section, there is a general consensus that moving children to France after the age of twelve, presents too much of a risk of permanently disrupting their education.
At 14 years of age a child has usually started their two year GSCE syllabus, so I don't understand why anyone would risk changing schools and language of teaching at such a critical stage.
If it did not work out and you returned to the UK after a couple of years it would be fine for the adults, as you have kept a base there. However, the childrens education could have been irreversibly damaged by that stage and therefore the childrens interests need to be put first.
   Report   Reply Quote

Re: god idea or just another rose tinted ideal??

I think that this is a great idea. Frensh people love good food and are willing to pay for it!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine