Earning a Living

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Finding work on France

Well, Anna. I doubt that many of these replies are what you hoped for.

Will it mean that your proposed article will be spiked? Or will you write something challenging the commonly presented picture (in Living France, anyway) of France being crotch-deep in pixie dust?

Report   Reply Quote

And presumably you've read this thread, Anna...

http://www.completefrance.com/cs/forums/2273356/ShowPost.aspx

Report   Reply Quote

I have had occasion to use the Job Centre in the Uk in the past and they offered me far less help than the ANPE I can assure you.

However, I am a firm believer that there is always work if you want to work, I have lived in several countries and never been out of work - if I didn't want to be. Nobody in this world is going to give you a job, you have to work damn hard to find one and you have to believe in yourself. It is so easy to find a reason why, no one has given you a job, not so easy to truly put yourself out finding one.
I have been a sales manager in finance, an overseas service manager for Virgin Holidays and a hotel manager. However, I have also been a chambermaid, a pot washer, a bus driver and given leaflets out in the street.

A job is a job and if you are not happy with the job you have, then go get another one. Once you have a job, any job, it is easier to find a better one and if you don't have the language skills, then go get them.

If you are talking about a career, it is slightly different but for a career, we all make sacrifices, may be one of these would be to live in a different country. The people I feel sorry for are those who for health reasons can not find work, or due to age wont be considered or are genuinely not able enough to do a job, mentally. But for the rest of you -

The only job I really felt I couldn't do was inspecting rubber components in a rubber manufacturing plant! When I phoned in the second day to say I couldn't do it, the supervisor agreed - I would have died of boredom, so I simply went out and found a different job the next day.

I have worked since 1982, so there has always been periods of high unemployment as well as the fact that I grew up in a mining community that is no more, so I do know how hard it really can be.
www.burgundymadeeasy.com
   Report   Reply Quote

For probably about 20 years or so before his retirement in 1981 my father was a nigh shift works manager for a company that made rubber mouldings and rubber to metal bonded bushes, it was a dirty and as you have said, boring and repetitive job, less so for my father as the boss though.

It was however relatively well paid for manual work as it carried the night shift premium, it appealed to the real grafters who did not mind getting their hands dirty to be well rewarded, many of them had second daytime jobs like running a corner shop or market trading.

Throughout the whole time he never had more than 3 white people working for him and even they were Canadians/Australians etc, the English generally didnt like the work and the conditions and werent prepared to make a sacrifice even for short term gain like the immigrants or ex-pats (or should that be colonials?).

The rest of the night shift, some 50 or so were a mixture of Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis and Ugandan Asians,my father sometimes had his work cut out with fighting between the various religions, by far the most loyal and hard working were the Sikhs, they pretty much all were shopkeepers, some still work in the shops with their descendants despite being in their 80's now, I think pretty much all of their kids are now successfull businessman judging by those that I am still in touch with.

That is not to say there werent the opportunists amongst them (I wont say what race or religion) but they were the ones that would be clocking in to more than one factory, working whilst also claiming social security, generally doing their best to avoid work whilst being paid, sleeping on the job, taking the maximum time off sick and calling in the race relations board when disciplined.

We moan at the loss of ,our industries to China but I reckon the current generation would be even less wiling to do these jobs if they were still available in Europe

Report   Reply Quote

Anna France wrote:

Morning all,

I'm a journalist with Living France magazine and am in the process of writing a feature on finding a job in France. I'm looking for some personal experiences to include in the article. Any input would be greatly apprecited. Did you find it difficult? Did you use the ANPE? What tips and advice would you give to people trying to find work?

Many thanks,

Anna

Assistant Editor

Living France

Anna ,  the title of your post reads; 

Finding work on France

what does, working on France, mean .

please also explain the meaning of the "word" apprecited as written in your text.

I await your response and ,
Kind regards,

Leo

Leo.

( Can you wear a morning suit in the afternoon)
   Report   Reply Quote

LEO wrote:
 Anna France wrote:

Morning all,

I'm a journalist with Living France magazine and am in the process of writing a feature on finding a job in France. I'm looking for some personal experiences to include in the article. Any input would be greatly apprecited. Did you find it difficult? Did you use the ANPE? What tips and advice would you give to people trying to find work?

Many thanks,

Anna

Assistant Editor

Living France

Anna ,  the title of your post reads; 

Finding work on France

what does, working on France, mean .

please also explain the meaning of the "word" apprecited as written in your text.

I await your response and ,
Kind regards,

Leo

Since when has correct English been demanded of a journalist ?

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Poor wee lass, she'll be thinking you don't like journalists. A final pointer for Anna, if she is still researching, is, she might be wondering why there are so few jobs. If she hasn't already worked this one out she could start by finding out the levels of social contributions (NI) payable by the employer, and also how hard it is to dismiss employees, then she will understand why a lot of businesses are scared off employing someone. Which is why when someone gets a job, even at a supermarket checkout, they don't leave, so even in carp jobs you don't get the same staff turnover as in the UK. My local Mr Bricolage is about the same size as yer average B&Q, does home deliveries, installations and repairs, and has 12 staff in total. The boss comes out and prices up jobs, then goes back and types up the quotes himself, and as often as not he comes out and does the job himself too. I don't know how many people work at a B&Q but I would have thought more than 12.
   Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:

Since when has correct English been demanded of a journalist ?

And when exactly did journalists stop doing their own bit of on the ground research and start just asking around for "information"?

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine