Earning a Living

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: AE & taxes

Yes, in France you are taxed as a couple, not as individuals.

Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

What if you're not married and one of you is resident in the UK and earns their income solely in the UK. Whilst the other is making, say, 15,000 euros and is in France for 200+ days a year?

Report   Reply Quote

If you are not married or in a legal partnership (PACS) you are taxed individually in France.

If you are married or PACSd though you have to declare your worldwide income in France, i.e. UK + French income (remember to declare the UK income as tax having already been paid). The resulting household income is likely to take you into a higher tax bracket in France, so there will be more tax payable than would have been due solely on the French resident spouse's income. Because in UK you are taxed individually, your spouse's income in France is of no interest to the tax authorities there so you don't need to declare it in England, just the UK employment income.
Will

intentionally blank signature

Report   Reply Quote

Will wrote:
If you are not married or in a legal partnership (PACS) you are taxed individually in France. If you are married or PACSd though you have to declare your worldwide income in France, i.e. UK + French income (remember to declare the UK income as tax having already been paid). The resulting household income is likely to take you into a higher tax bracket in France, so there will be more tax payable than would have been due solely on the French resident spouse's income. Because in UK you are taxed individually, your spouse's income in France is of no interest to the tax authorities there so you don't need to declare it in England, just the UK employment income.

Thank you for this information. I'm about to go down the AE route and am really pleased to find out that I will be taxed as an individual. Thank heaven we never married!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine