French Language

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Another French test

sweet 17 wrote:

When I came, our own Clair told me not to aim for perfection but just to get on and speak!  As that was already my inclination, it was no problem gabbling away in ungrammatical and incorrect French.

That is my saving grace and my greatest strength, possibly my feminine side showing through Big Smile [:D]

My survival instinct is another thing works in my favour, if a man is hungry he has to find a way to eat.

Report   Reply Quote

Loiseau wrote:
Fell down on "grand-mere" (I put "grand'mere)...

I would have put grand'mère too, if I hadn't read your post. 

I was fairly sure I'd seen that form, so I did a bit of research.  Apparently grand'mère was regarded as "correct" until 1932, when the Académie Française decreed that it should be grand-mère.  That made me feel better.

My source provided several other examples of the 'e' being dropped from grande in a hyphenated word: grand-rue, grand-place, grand-chose.

There's also an example (which I hadn't thought about) in my all-time favourite song by my all-time favourite French singer, Le Parapluie by Georges Brassens, which begins:

Il pleuvait fort sur la grand-route...

Of course you can't tell by listening to it, but I checked the text.

Report   Reply Quote

Not logical I know but the way I remember this one is:  if petit-fille doesn't need an e than grand-mère doesn't need one either.

I have lots of illogical ways of remembering things which work perfectly well for me but I don't think they would make sense to anyone else.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I had a look at it and it seems to have the typical weaknesses of these sorts of tests, in that only one answer is accepted
.I would have been marked wrong for Cette voiture' va être' vendue instead of 'sera', and I would maintain that both 'ces fleurs' and 'ses' fleurs are acceptable with different meanings.
In any case I would never write anything important in Franch without checking it on for example

http://bonpatron.com/en/
or with a programme such as Antidote
in English here

On the matter of accents I never understand why English people seem to see them as decoration.

They make a difference to the sound
the e is like the sound in 'but'
è us like the ea in 'bear'
and é is like the i in 'bit'...

3 quite distinct things...

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Have you got a SE France accent, Norman?
I thought :
é sounds like the ay in bay
è sounds like the e in bet.
I think we were taught Parisian french.

Report   Reply Quote

I agree that they are 3 distinct things Norman but I only agree with your explanation of è

But and **  bit sound completely wrong to me, not that I am capable of giving a better example.

I think it was correct for you to lose a point for saying va être vendue, as they asked for the future tense and what you used is an easier way of saying it, a cheat if you like, a habit  which it took me a long time to get out of and to start using the proper future tense.

Editted, A bit unfair because probably the question was asking for the passive voice not the future, what I was referring to was saying " je vais vendre" etc

Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Have you got a SE France accent, Norman?
I thought :
é sounds like the ay in bay
è sounds like the e in bet.
I think we were taught Parisian french.

I don't think that 'Mère' and' bet' rhyme, but I do think that Mère and bear do.
the ay in bay is a diphthong with two sounds not just one...I still reckon that é is closer to the short i in 'hit' or 'bit'
But without going into phonetics there is no really accurate way of representing sounds. I was just trying to show that the accents in French are there to show the sounds, not just something decorative. Once you feel that they become essential.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I did notice that amongst the accents in the toolbar, which were really to small for me to actually see there was an à but with the accent sloping the other way, does this exist? If so when do you use it?

I have an azerty keyboard but I cannot find that accent, was it a piege?

I have a load of dead bête d'orages between the layes of my ecran, while they were in the throes of death I found accents suddenly appearing that I hadn't typed and then changing from é to è in the blink of an eye Big Smile [:D]

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine