French Language

Topic has 53 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: How does one translate 'bully'into French?

Rudoyer is a new word for me Smile [:)]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

For Norman:

Ou, un professeur tyrannise par ses camarades d’écoleWink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

What is the proper description  of  bully in english?

to torment?

to intimidate?

Both are french words too. I've just looked this up and found 'brimer' which seems to cover it too, although I cannot remember hearing that.

When my kids were at school I'd hear problems being described as  'racket' and 'violence' more than anything else.

I've hit a brick wall with this now. Sometimes I find the french word works beautifully when I cannot find the right word in english, but that is probably my lack of vocabularly, peut-etre ou surement?Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

What is the proper description  of  bully in english?

to torment?

to intimidate?

Both are french words too. I've just looked this up and found 'brimer' which seems to cover it too, although I cannot remember hearing that.

When my kids were at school I'd hear problems being described as  'racket' and 'violence' more than anything else.

I've hit a brick wall with this now. Sometimes I find the french word works beautifully when I cannot find the right word in english, but that is probably my lack of vocabularly, peut-etre ou surement?Whistles [Www]

Idun, ‘bully’ is bit old fashioned these days, just think of the good old days of Bully Beef!

Report   Reply Quote

Old fashioned these days?

As in it doesnt happen these days or there is a better more recnt word in the English language for it?

If its the latter can you tell me what it is as my English vocab is failing by the day.

Report   Reply Quote

No Chancer, your  memory is not failing, sadly it is still alive and well in France and England.
   Report   Reply Quote

Chancer wrote:

Old fashioned these days?

As in it doesnt happen these days or there is a better more recnt word in the English language for it?

If its the latter can you tell me what it is as my English vocab is failing by the day.

Oh it happens all right as we all too well know. ‘Bully’ these days is not a strong enough description, how about terrorizer?

Report   Reply Quote

I like bully beef incidentally, but it's my Dad who'd call it that, not me. I only managed to get some decent stuff in France once, then it went back to being like cat food.  
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine