French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Franglais

YES, I have a problem with phone numbers now. When I call France and they want my phone number I cannot say the house number  in two digits at a time, I don't 'know' it like that, so I have to go and look at it where I wrote it down in BIG writing so that I can see it sans lunettes. It's the only way I can do it, really. I was OK going back to the english way of dealing with numbers, probably because I always worked with numbers and we would have to read them out that often when checking stuff that that came quite naturally.

When I call France and if there are too many soixante dix septs  and quatre vingt dix neufs, I'll say the number back ONE letter at a time. That way, me and the person at the other end are sure. I much prefer the way the Suisse and Beligians say their numbers, much more pratique.

The good thing about franglais and the argot is that when people read it, and they don't know it they should look it up, it will expand there vocabularly no end. The only thing is, and I don't know about Chancer, but I do not usually (well maybe sometimes ) use les gros mots that I know on here, and maybe Chancer is a nicer person than I am and doesn't even know them.Whistles [Www].

Sometimes I think that I know far more swear words and insults in french than I do in english. NOT that I use them, but unless my lips start moving when I think (I hope not), I just think them a lot of the time when appropriate situations merit them!

Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
You must remember
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6fhzv_eurotrash-series-7-show-4-1996-with_fun

J'adore de Caunes (et Garcia)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7smha_de-caunes-garcia-charles-et-diana_fun

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Thanks Christine...
It's worth learning French just for the double entendres Stick out tongue [:P]

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I've just caught myself saying, "I'm going to see if there are any guêpes in the piège"Blush [:$]

Having set the thing up this afternoon, I was eager to see if it'd caught anything and wasn't thinking about what I was saying, oh dear.....

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

But that is OK, many of us on here understand and those that don't could get a dictionnaire up and see what these words mean, or simply not understand, which would be kinda sad really.Smile [:)]
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine