French Language

Topic has 41 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: bimbeloteries

sweet 17 wrote:
I said, "Bof!  C'est un colifichet, une bimbeloterie", with, naturellement, the requisite two shrugs of the shoulders.!Stick out tongue [:P]

Mais, quelle frimeuse, hein?

Bof! une histoire marseillaise!! though I'm sure owners of two Chateau do happily and frequently discard such valuables as bimbeloterie. C'est pas le Perou, Qu'ils mangent de la briocheBig Smile [:D]

the real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind, and blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday
   Report   Reply Quote

So you just walked off and left the earring on the ground?
Or did some gallant gentilhomme retrouve it for you?
   Report   Reply Quote

Well Sweet17, thank you for teaching me a new French word! As I knew the word "bibelot", I was convinced that it should be "bibeloterie" - fortunately I looked it up before making a fool of myself - sure enough, it is "bimbeloterie"! I am flummaxed! Big Smile [:D]
   Report   Reply Quote

5-element wrote:
Well Sweet17, thank you for teaching me a new French word! As I knew the word "bibelot", I was convinced that it should be "bibeloterie" - fortunately I looked it up before making a fool of myself - sure enough, it is "bimbeloterie"! I am flummaxed! Big Smile [:D]

5-e, you mean you were flummoxed!Big Smile [:D]

Nevermind, told you I was a terrible frimeuse, didn't I?

But, you know what, I shall always remember that there was a day in the year of Our Lord two thousand and eleven when I (little old me) taught the French and very elegant user of la langue française, 5-element, a new French word, LOL!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Ah you frimeuse, you! Big Smile [:D] Keep it up!

And...I always confuse being flummoxed with being poleaxed (both are favorite words of mine, another one being balderdash)!

Report   Reply Quote

5-element's post came to mind when I was in France recently. When I'm there I run a conversation class in English for adults, and I had asked them to look in the dictionary for 3 English words they didn't know, and then to use them in a sentence. Most of them chose fairly middle-of-the-road words but one girl picked petticoat, handkerchief and splutter just because they pleased her and she thought them amusing.
Long live vocabulary extension and the love of words!

Report   Reply Quote

Frecossais, do you mean that when her petticoat fell down around her ankles, she had to splutter into her handkerchief?Smile [:)]
N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

When we were out a long long time ago, my friend's petticoat fell around her ankles, but in fact it was her knickers. She denies all knowledge of that incident all these years later. She blushed, I spluttered and then howled with laughter.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine