French Language

Topic has 80 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French prononciation of English names and places

Patf wrote:
And is there a hard "g" sound in french?
In the middle of words, certainly.  And at the end, but spelt gue/s  as in Hugues (well that's the closest example which I use to help my French friends with this - there are probably better ones.)
"I couldn't sleep very well last night. Some noisy b*ggers going around in automobiles kept me awake." Ken Miles
   Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
And is there a hard "g" sound in french?

Around Montpellier and towards Marseille there certainly is: bread is "pang", tomorrow is "demang", etc.

Regards
Pickles

Regards
Pickles

I quite enjoy hearing the French rendering of Cillit Bang.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Hoddy wrote:
Don't take it to heart, Frenchie. You should hear Americans attempt Leicester and Loughborough. Hoddy
Or English people tryng to pronounce Kirkcudbright (a town in SW Scotland pronounced as Kircoobree
"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Donkey Shot, always got me, it literally took me several years to work that one out.

Names, well, some sound better in french like Agnes and Herbert. Some don't. What about this confusion for me, called at a friends and her son was there, who told me his sister had had a daughter and given her an english name. Ee lene. I kept asking him to repeat it and assuring him that it was not 'english' when I asked him to spell it, he said Eileen. Hmmmmmmmm what could I say, I personally prefer the 'french' version.

Look at Hugh in french, sounds like someone is shouting out a japanese number as they choke.

Add to that all the diminutives in french and it's hard to know what people are called sometimes. I often get called by my diminutive name by french friends.

Report   Reply Quote

You mean you aren't all referred to to as 'les anglais'?!?

Report   Reply Quote

I am l'Anglois

"

Les Anglois ont désormais renoncé à venir occuper les contrées étrangères par la force des armes, ils viennent plutôt par charter et le tunnel sous la Manche, de juin à septembre. Obèses, le visage rougi par la bière et le fish & chips, vêtus de short ridicules et de chemisettes immondes ils débarquent en troupeaux sur les plages de la Méditerranée, braillant comme des gorets qu'on égorge dans ce gargouilli qui leur sert de langue.

Ils passent alors deux semaines à boire, uriner en public et montrer leur fesses boutonneuses aux passants avant d'être renvoyés chez eux.

Contrairement à ce que pensent les Anglois, ce comportement ne les rend pas plus sympathiques."

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I have heard it all now, a Frenchman (presumably a man) talking about short ridicules Woot! [:-))]
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine