French Education

Topic has 60 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Procedure when absent from school because of sickness?

DD, if we weren't both already spoken for, I might propose.Big Smile [:D]

Water, water, more water or a glass of weak squash..

The only time I've advised either of my offspring to go anywhere near a doctor for a gastro was when my youngest (then already 20) had just started an industrial placement, and, after less than a week, was struck down. Three factors influenced that decision:
- he is a food scientist and was working in an environment where food is manufactured, so not a good idea to go to work!!!
- he is unusual (especially compared to my other son) in that he has always dragged himself in to school, university or work however ill he feels, so if he's saying he can't go, he's genuinely ill,
- it was his first week in his placement, and employers tend to by quite sceptical about someone calling in sick after such a short time.

Anyway, it was a good job I did, because his gastro turned out to be food poisoning...

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Of course this thread is about children and school, but the attitudes in France are possibly influenced by the need to get an arrêt de travail from a Doctor if you are working

http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F303.xhtml

I don't think that self-certification counts.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

I know coke is a diuretic but any idea why it soothes gripe pains, DD?

15 mins is good to know.  He was throwing it back up again pretty quickly and I was wondering whether he actually absorbed any.  I feel that it's better to drink lots of water because as well as washing out whatever is upsetting them it helps and is less painful if they actually have something to vomit up rather than just doing that dry heaving thing.  If things don't improve quickly I usually move to a home made rehydration solution which has a bit of salt and sugar in it (can't remember off the top of my head - I usually look up the recipe when I need it).  

I remembered I have some Smecta sachets in the medicine cupboard from when my other son had a period where he just seemed to have the runs all the time.  It was when he first started college and continued on and off for weeks and I was concerned there was something wrong with either the water or the food there so I took him to see the doctor!  The doctor thought it must be nerves and said to stop him having milk in the mornings because that doesn't agree with some children and to give him Smecta when he had a bout.   The son who was ill this weekend has recovered well and has no stomach upset now but for future reference, is the Smecta better than giving a child loparamide if the diarrhoea is acute?  Not a nice subject I know, but I gave  him it (unusually for me) because it was really bad, like water, and he couldn't hold it and was quite upset about it. 

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Lovely, thankyou for reminding me about the brand name......... 'Smecta'....... Pansements Intestinaux. What a wonderful expression that isBig Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D]Big Smile [:D].
   Report   Reply Quote

No idea why coke would help the pains Debra.  Interestingly enough my first job as a Dr was on a paediatric infections ward and we looked after a lot of gastroenteritis as part of that.  The children hardly ever needed a drip putting up, but the nurses were probably just a little bit tougher with the fluids only regime than the parents, as of course there was no emotional attachment to get in the way.  Anyway, we used to use peppermint water (prepared in the pharmacy) as treatment for the griping pains, and it worked really well.  In fact, peppermint oil capsules are still used to treat the pain of irritable bowel syndrome, which is also of a griping, colicky nature, so peppermint water is highly recommended if you're stuck (and if you can get hold of it from a pharmacy - not sure how easy that is in France).

The electrolyte sachets (Dioralyte, Rehidrat, etc) are also very useful for younger children as gastroenteritis can affect the electrolyte balance in this young age group in severe cases.  Water is probably ok for 24-48 hours then the sachets might be needed.  That being said, if you've already got some you can kick off straight away with them, though they have a slightly salty taste so sometimes aren't well tolerated (when I was in the said job above, for a joke one of the nurses made me a cup of tea made with water and a plain dioralyte sachet, I nearly threw up myself it was so foul!).  Smecta is a more modern version of Kaolin, a clay-based product which used to be combined with minute amounts of morphine.  I don't know if Smecta is very effective, and certainly using clay or similar products went out with the ark in the UK.  Having said that, it is a more natural way of treating the diarrhoea than loperamide, which just stops the bowel in its tracks.  Pleased your little fella has fully recovered now, its amazing how quickly kids bounce back to full health, but thankfully they usually do! Big Smile [:D]    

Report   Reply Quote

They still sell Kaolin and Morphine in our chemist in the UK - I've got a couple of bottles of that in the cupboard too that I brought over with me!  Wouldn't recommend it then?!

www.remaininfrance.org
   Report   Reply Quote

Not really, not harmful but out-dated compared to the approach I outlined earlier.  Smile [:)]
   Report   Reply Quote

Pansements intestinaux are still very popular in France. As are suppos for manys a treatment and once I got used to the idea of suppos, thought that they were brilliant.

Lots of things are just that bit different, including that awful red stuff people put on small wounds.

My GP's in France often prescribed homeopathic treatments, little plastic tubes with what looked like crystals in them, that had to be taken in rather great quanitites, but I cannot for the life of me remember why!

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine