French Language

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Clair or Mrs Elephant help please.

The langue de beouf with langouste............... I remember a friend of mine giving me very old fashioned looks when I served beef with mussels in a port and brandy sauce, and very good it was.  Apparently in France one doesn't 'mix' surf and turf. Apparently just like they don't fruit or 'confiture' with meat, only ofcourse there are many recipes that do and are very french recipes.

Your menu  sounds wonderful, I'll be round in a posh frock. Norman, fresh bib and tucker for you, we'll just have to wait until Wooly tells us what time apero is served....... won't we......... Smile [:)]

Report   Reply Quote

This is for a little project of mine as I have decided to get back in harness to occupy my mind. Xmas dins. will be in Brussels with my daughter and partner; we are currently negotiating the menu. I already have the pudding and crackers - the mince pies have yet to be found.

The problem is that my eyes are 'uggered so reading the small text needs one pair of glasses and looking at the screen needs another pair. Thus, headache from one or the other.

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:

The langue de beouf with langouste............... I remember a friend of mine giving me very old fashioned looks when I served beef with mussels in a port and brandy sauce, and very good it was.  Apparently in France one doesn't 'mix' surf and turf. Apparently just like they don't fruit or 'confiture' with meat, only ofcourse there are many recipes that do and are very french recipes.

Smile [:)]

Actually the latest Master Chef and similar programmes seem to be doing it a  lot now.

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

Love to think that I was avante-guarde, but I wasn't. Sadly, just a little ignorance on the part of our friend. She placed all her mussells on the side of her plate and would not eat them as they were with meat, and yet I know she eats moules frites. Sad really.

So we didn't get told what time to get there. Too late now, I'm not usually a boudeuse, but one can end up feeling really let down. Anyway, too late, had chicken broth and dumplings, which is not as fine and exotic, but just right on a cold night.

What do the belgians eat over christmas, do they have the Reveillon de Noel eating orgy with so many plats? Or do they have a christmas lunch or dinner?

Report   Reply Quote

Well, many have the Reveillon still, but those with kids who have avoided St Nichoas, which is a peste, have a Xmas day. It varies immensly.

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

My brother is going to Bruges for St Nicholas, and didn't seem to know about St Nicholas............ hence............Santa Claus. Him being a grammar school boy, who also got the good looks, I felt rather disappointed in his lack of knowlege about this.

Don't the kids want double presents? some for St Nicholas and some for xmas day?

Report   Reply Quote

They'll be lucky

Too thick for a PhD!
   Report   Reply Quote

I thought St Nicholas was next Thursday..

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine