French Language

Topic has 22 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: To spare, can you spare it?

Thanks again Eric!

I see that I miswrote my statement, I say pourrais not pouvais but si je peux is better, I think I get myself confused with having to use the conditional instead of the future with si I then mistakenly started using the conditional instead of the present tense.

Life was a lot simpler when I could just point at something and shout 'GEEVE EET TO ME!" Stick out tongue [:P]

Report   Reply Quote

Don't worry Chancer. There are many ways to ask the same thing..

- Puis-je emprunter ta xyz ?

- Pourrais-je emprunter ta xyz ? (alternative is ...Je pourrais emprunter ta xyz ??)

- T'as pas un/une xyz a me preter?

-  etc ...but keep it simple.

Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

Bon, après toutes ces circonvolutions ,  il te le prête ou pas cet outil .?????? Big Smile [:D]

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Mais non, he can't spare it !

Animal Aid Saint Aubin

"Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"

Report   Reply Quote

Unless he has one d'appoint?

Sorry, Betty has just taught me this word and I am trying to use it at every opportunity so that I can remember it!Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Cant recall what it was anymore Stick out tongue [:P]

Ah yes I recall now, it wasnt to borrow but to keep and yes he did sort me out, hope he is not expecting it returned though!

Report   Reply Quote

In which case he could have said " et il s'appelle retourne " ! ( very common thing to say in such circumstances" 

Life has a habit of biting you on the bum in ways that you least expect.............

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine