French Language

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: cringe-making

sweet 17 wrote:

Anyway, it's not that hard if you have problems making out sounds.  You shut your mouth, open your ears, ask for things to be repeated, you ask to be corrected and you shut your mouth, open your ears, etc, and repeat the process.

Very true and as you say some people just seem incapable of it, mind you the french round here may even be worse than your aquaintance, probably only one in 10 is capable or truth be known can be bothered to hold a conversation with me and 9 out of 10 of those are female, the others, well I just cant be ar5ed with them any more.

I have a dear friend in England, the nicest chap that you could ever imagine, he would give you the shirt off his own back, known him for close to 30 years but what a terrible listener, he is just completely incapable of recieving, like a talky-walky with the button stuck on transmit, when you can actually get a word in you have to repeat things many times over before he finally hears them, as a consequence you cannot rely on the very person whom you should be able to most rely on in the world, well thats not true you can rely on him to get things wrong. Sad [:(]

Now he is an exception in the UK, he's a very nervous type and I think it stems from that, I dont know anyone else in the UK quite like him but around here there are loads and its not nerves in most cases but arrogance and disinterest.

Report   Reply Quote

Hi, Chance, I've just been thinking about you this afternoon.

A book bought on leboncoin arrived from Arras today so I was just reading up on the city.  I do this you know, read up on where my purchases come from and get an imaginery tour of the place as well as the item bought!

Anyway, after all your dreadful stories on here about where you live, I actually would love to visit Arras.

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Something I enjoy doing is using Google Earth in Street view mode to have a virtual tour of places I hear about or see adverts from.
I just visited Arras like that ....

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

And it has such an interesting history too.  I was quite disheartened to think that the Romanesque cathedral was destroyed at the time of the French revolution Cry Out [:'(]

Also, the First World War events that unfolded there were very sad on account of the destruction and the loss of life.

I only ever associated Arras with tapestries and felt very ill-informed and ignorant even on a quick look at Wikipedia.

Tell you what, it quite brightened the rainy afternoon up once I got a bit absorped in reading about it (and the book which came:  La première gorgée de bière et autres plaisirs miniscules" by Philippe Delerm).

Report   Reply Quote

I like Arras and its inhabitants a lot, no-one there has made me cringe yet Smile [:)]

I also like the people and the city of Amiens although people tell me that the Amienoise are even more unfriendly than themselves (said with a tinge of jealousy I might add), my experience has been far from that but in fact all the people I know in Amiens are not born and bred but have moved there for their careers.

Arras is one of those places that I can never get my bearings, I think that I would need to spend several days on foot there to get a sense of orientation, by car its really confusing.

Report   Reply Quote

If you think you are surrounded by people you think are arrogant and disinterested, and as one person mentioned of all your 'dreadful stories' of where you live then it begs the question - why choose to live where you live?
You get good and bad everywhere - it's what people make of it that counts.
   Report   Reply Quote

simone46 wrote:
If you think you are surrounded by people you think are arrogant and disinterested, and as one person mentioned of all your 'dreadful stories' of where you live then it begs the question - why choose to live where you live? You get good and bad everywhere - it's what people make of it that counts.
Sometimes you find the right property and buy it before you realise the people are not your type.

It is not always so easy to move at the present time

"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

Rabbie wrote:

Sometimes you find the right property and buy it before you realise the people are not your type.

It is not always so easy to move at the present time

Rabbie, you are soooo right.  We have had 2 years of utter bliss here in a beautiful village and we arguably had the best plot on the edge of the village with lovely views towards the south and a huge bank full of trees on the north side to shelter us from cold winds.

Then, the market continued to drop and a large, stone house that would have "normally" sold for in excess of 280k euros went for little over 80k euros.  So, the inevitable happened, people with little money and even less consideration for others have moved in.  This is probably their first house and I'll bet they've never lived in any place near civilisation in the past.

They have cut down in excess of 70 trees, many fruit, acacia and other beauties.  The high bank is now a destablised mound of mud and, with the recent rains, a lot of mud has now washed down into the road right outside our house.

The fires he has lit to burn what is really green cuttings have left dark, unsightly deposits on our cars, our drives, our terraces, our windows, our shutters.  Some of the mud has inevitably left my floors a lot dirtier than they would ever have been.

The smoke has been stinging my eyes and throat and I have had to have double my usual asthma medication.  Would I move?  Yes, reluctantly, because prior to such undesirable people moving opposite to us, I thought I'd died and gone to paradise.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine