French Language

Topic has 21 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Correcting french

But, as a corrector rather than a correctee, how do you tell when a person says " please correct me if I make a mistake" whether (and to what extent) they mean it??

It's the linguistic equivalent of "does my bum look big in this?" which takes me right back to my earlier comment: damned if you do, damned if you don't!! I get paid to correct people's linguistic mistakes, ( which is one of several reasons why I rarely do it in my free time!) and, even in that teacher:pupil situation it can be tough.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

I never correct anyone unless they ask me to. Even then I try to be careful on how I do it. Fallen into that trap too many timesSmile [:)].

However I do welcome any help when I am trying to speak a foreign language

"There are some causes worth dying for - there are no causes worth killing for" Albert Camus
   Report   Reply Quote

I have to admit that friends and I discussed my french  the other night. We were talking about the trips we have had in other countries and that usually english is the language that is most understood. And I would find my french friends speaking english, which they have never done with me.

As they said, they never did other than speak french to me, help me when I asked, but never stopped me talking. Anyway, I often make them laugh, so why would they?

Report   Reply Quote

"I would find my french friends speaking english, which they have never done with me."

I had that experience recently, when I was invited to a meal where there was an English couple who really spoke virtually no French at all.
Several French people I know amazed me by managing quite reasonable English when I really had the impression that they knew none at all from when they are with me.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Betty, it's hard to gauge whether people might appreciate being corrected or not outside the teacher/pupil relationship. I suppose if they ask you, or possibly if they're making the same mistake over and over again, you might tell them. If not say nowt unless you know them extremely well.
You're right, it could be a minefield.

Report   Reply Quote

NormanH wrote:
"I would find my french friends speaking english, which they have never done with me."

I had that experience recently, when I was invited to a meal where there was an English couple who really spoke virtually no French at all.
Several French people I know amazed me by managing quite reasonable English when I really had the impression that they knew none at all from when they are with me.

You can imagine my surprise when my very well educated French girlfriend of several years after 18 months and who had never even said more than yes, no, please, thankyou to my own family, and most of that in French, suddenly spoke far better English than my French when the vicar asked her if she understood and had enjoyed the service.

I was absolutely gob-smacked, I knew that she had had a very good education and must have studied English to a high level, plus she is the sort to always get the best grades, she had also surprised me at times by knowing the English for some quite complex French terms that I couldnt understand her French explanation of but that day in church she shook me to the core, its always the quiet ones isnt it!!!

I am quite flattered that people choose not to use their English at all in my company.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine