Earning a Living

Topic has 38 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Tea Room

Over many years we've had various refreshments in many tearooms/salons de thé all around France, most of which had French customers having light refreshments and/or meals. A good number of our French friends enjoy places such as these too and drink tea, unlike us, which always seems to surprise French friends. Like others, I think any tea shop needs to be in a place where there are plenty of tourists.

Whenever we go to Anduze to ride on the steam train to St Jean or vice versa or to the Bambousserie we've popped in to an English teashop in Anduze, Teapotes, which seems to do very well. They also have lots of other activities going on as well as serving delicious teas, ice creams, cakes etc; they have various tea-linked gifts on sale and a super seconhand bookshop upstairs, also book club, conversation groups, readings etc and a newsletter by email.

http://www.tea-potes.com/english/browse.htm

There are quite a few salons de thé in our little town, which has a permanent population of around 9,000 but attracts a lot of tourists for most of the year.

Chez Cerise is only open for part of the year (can't think of the name, but it's flowery) and does very well, with mainly French customers, apart from on Saturdays and in the summer months - we have big market which attracts tourists from a wide area and it's a pretty town too. We had a drink there a few months ago and were shocked at the size of the bill; we decided we'd think of ourselves as tourists for that afternoon.thers in town that I can think of are: La Nougatine, Curiosi'thé, La Trop'uzienne and there are several others; these are all open most days of the year and offer everything from a coffee to full meals. La Nougatine is very large, a bakers/cake shop, with everything made on the premises and is open from about 06.30h till 19.30h; Curiosithéand La Trop'uzienne are much smaller and only serve drinks, snacks and meals, also open most of the year.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Cendrillon,

We are only in Daglan in June-July and it is a small town. Sarlat is not too far away.

David

Report   Reply Quote

David my comment was to make the point that a tea shop may not be able to make a profit if it opens year round unless it is in a very busy and popular place. It was really intended for the O.P Smile [:)]

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Cendrillion,

Daglan seems closed most of the year. The woman running the tea shop opened it becase she was bored.

David

Report   Reply Quote

Many thanks everyone, lots to go on!   Still in research mode, but I was thinking of keeping it very simple and along the lines of the very british 'cream tea' and nothing to complicated.  So it''s head down and research, research, research.  Thanks again

Report   Reply Quote

A friend of mine opened a cafe on the main street of a little Breton town. Although she thought she would be busiest for morning coffee and afternoon tea, it was actually lunchtime that she was working flat out, making sandwiches for many local French customers.

Angela
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Frank, do you intend this to be a full time money making business or a sideline or part time occupation. Cream teas will no doubt appeal to the British but whenever I am with French friends and suggest we have a coffee of tea they always decline a biscuit or cake to accompany the beverage. They don't seem to entertain the idea of eating between meals.Blush [:$]

Cendrillon
   Report   Reply Quote

Different in these parts, coffee/tea and biscuits or cake is the norm. Cannot get the older generation to use plates thought, they prefer to take them off the plate and break the biscuits up on the table.

Gateaux on a Sat/Sun afternoon is also a good alternative to a full meal. They even dunk those awful boudoir biscuits in the champers, sacrilege imo!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine