Swimming Pools in France

Topic has 17 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Gite swimming pool regulations

Thanks for your input Polly and Goo_Rat

Just to clarify the last point made by Goo_Rat, the requirement for 'wheelchair accessible pedilouve' is for new planning applications only (as I understand it) and it has been requested only 3 times whereas many others were not asked to include it -the Offices that did ask were in the North. And secondly, an official from the DDASS informed me that even though they do not have the responsibility to inspect for conforming security, they were asked by the Gendarmes (who do have the responsibility) to provide information on Pool sites that did not conform, as the Gendarmes did not have the manpower to undertake inspections.  Again I suspect that this matter applies differently in different regions and is not a national policy (so far as I know- perhaps Chris can verify that during his meeting).

And to reiterate the position with regard to who is and who is not under DDASS control for water quality. Its clear, that if a proprietor charges for facilities NO MATTER HOW SMALL THE ACTIVITY (1 gite with a pool, or a spa even), then the pool is a 'public pool' and must comply with the norms. Any proprietor who ignores the norms and operates a public facility below the standard required by the norm is taking a grave risk, both for the continuation of their business and personally I suspect, as the matter could be regarded as personal negligence.

All this should be academic however, as conforming with these norms is not really that onerous, it just means that the proprietor must pay attention to the specification of the equipment on the pool and to the maintenance thereafter. In my estimation, the extra cost of building a pool, which is compliant, is not more than 10% extra. Which is not much considering the earning power of the facility.

Andrew

Report   Reply Quote
Smile [:)]

Re: Gite swimming pool regulations

A long time later....
I would add that hiring out a 'gite' demands a great deal of due diligence on the part of the owner. From smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, etc in the house to pool safety, which includes an alarm or regulation fencing, testing and recording water quality and in our case warning that the pool is 1.2 mtrs throughout and 'NO DIVING'. Demonstrating due diligence as well as making every effort to comply with regulations is a strong argument in court!
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine