French Education

Topic has 57 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Where to purchase modest dwelling 30-minutes from major University

To back up my post, re fair and possible. If I understood your original post, your daughter is 13. My point was that if you buy a house now next to your choice of University, you are (IMA) commiting your child to a programme years ahead of when she is capable of making her own decision and choice. If she passes the BAC she has the "right" to go to Uni to follow any subject. The Uni you choose today may not meet her future requirments. The one that does a licence in computer science may not be the one that does a Masters, for example.

Prepa and Grande Ecole are not expensive, depending on your situation. Their works and study ethics, however, do not suit all students.

Anyway, at the end of the day, its your decision.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thanks for the clarification, Lehaut. I do understand--and concur--with the point you are making. I am saturated with a wealth of information from what we have here at the US Embassy called "Campus France" and I do find it bizarre how the French Universities are divided up into so many locations and how the course offerings are so restricted to specific locations. And that is a detriment to a child as young as 13 looking forward. Her interest is focused on computers--she won her class' award for Technology--so she does have a special interest. So I need to find the University with the broadest opportunities in a location we can afford. On the one hand it might be frustrating to think that her choices may be limited (she will probably have to live at home), but in world terms we are indeed rich and lucky.

Report   Reply Quote

I believe France is unique in that if you go to a French Uni (FAC), they will give you an financial allocation for accommodation. Both are boys got/have it. In the youngest case, he is accommodated in a specifically designed building for students, 5 mins walk from his classrooms on campus. Its only 9 square meters, but has everything he needs and is very safe. His classroom/lecture/lab time is 35 hours a week, so the room is for study/sleep. There is a restaurent on site and a communal kitchen. Home is 90 minutes away on the train/bus. This situation is fairly common, so living at home should not dominate the thinking. Generally, the academy that manages education in the department you live in will determine the Uni (FAC) your child can go to. We come under Caen, so FAC Caen is the automatic choice. It is possible to go to another area, but you will need a special dispensation!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I don't have children of Uni age (any more) but wonder: is there a five year residence rule for this allocation as there is for help with Maison de retraite fees?
When our own son came ro Tours uni for a year under the Erasmus scheme he got the allowance even though he was not French resident but we thought that he got it as he was an EU citizen on an exchange.

Report   Reply Quote

Lehaut, that is not always the case, even for french kids, my friends son got not a penny because his mother was already getting her allocation towards her rent. I have heard that things are 'tighter' these days. This was some time ago and I never had any reason to doubt this young man.

What got up my nose was that she was always an absent mother believing children should bring themselves up, and when I say absent, I mean literally travelling far far away, and she had money in the bank, so in my opinion did not need state support.

Report   Reply Quote

Taken off the current government sites:

Les étudiants étrangers ont droit, comme tous les étudiants, à une aide au logement. La seule pièce supplémentaire à fournir sera le titre de séjour, d'une validité supérieure à quatre mois, valable pour l'année universitaire en cours.

And

Oui, un étudiant peut bénéficier d'une aide au logement versée par la Caisse d'allocations familiales (Caf).

Un étudiant peut toucher une aide au logement qu'il vive

dans un logement privé,
en résidence universitaire
ou dans un logement social.
La demande doit être faite via un téléservice dédié.

Toutefois, l'étudiant qui choisit de bénéficier d'une aide au logement n'est plus considéré comme enfant à charge de ses parents pour le calcul des prestations familiales. Ainsi, lorsque les parents perçoivent des prestations familiales, il y a donc un choix à faire entre la situation d'allocataire à titre personnel de l'étudiant et la qualité d'enfant à charge.

So the child in question could have got a contribution towards his student accommodation, but the mother would have lost his part of the contribution towards her rent. Seems fair as he would no longer be living with her for most of the year?
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi, I've been away. Sorry, I don't understand this:

Generally, the academy that manages education in the department you live in will determine the Uni (FAC) your child can go to. We come under Caen, so FAC Caen is the automatic choice. It is possible to go to another area, but you will need a special dispensation!!

1. What "academy" "manages education" and how can they determine the Uni your child can go to? That does not seem possible. Here in NY, I was last year deeply engrossed in researching French Unis for DD #2 as she will be a French major (she got "too good to pass up" financial aid to a US college and will go to Aix for her Junior yr). If we live in France with DD #3, will a district determine what Uni she can go to? That does not sound possible. I must be correct to assume she can attend whatever Uni she wishes to attend, presuming she has Le Bac and good grades and passes the language proficiency test.

Also, Campus France told us to put aside $1,000/yr for our child's living expenses. That's why I wish DD #3 to live at home. The discussion and the French are a little too dense for me to understand if it is possible for a Uni student to have free lodging and expenses.

PS researching properties in towns on the rail line out of Poitiers, up to 90 minutes....some nice places.

Thank you.
   Report   Reply Quote

In France  the student  who obtains the Bac can go to the local University, but it isn't common to go outside the area unless it is to go to one of the "Grandes Ecoles" I mentioned before, and you will need a dispensation to do so.

Why do you think it 'does not sound possible' that the Academie  should ' determine the Uni your child can go to"?

You have asked for advice. Do you doubt that people are telling you the truth?

Here is the site for the Academie de Poitiers
http://www.ac-poitiers.fr/etablissements-et-formations/

You will see that it manages Education at all levels from Ecoles to Universities.
Children from that Academie will usually go to one of the Higher Education establishments run by the same Academie.

You will be in France not in the USA so you have to start thinking as the French system does.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine