French Food and Wine

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: recipe please for a cake with fresh figs

All the fig trees in our area seem to have gone mad, figs everywhere so that we are literally tripping over them during our walks.

Not only figs, still the odd plum left on trees and apples (varying degrees of sweetness and thicknesses of skin) aplenty.

Our walks have become a tasting paradise and a test of integrity (some belong to other people's gardens) and self-control.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

hyacinth bucket wrote:
When we are awash with figs, I make this one a lot... http://www.lifelovefood.co/turkish-yogurt-cake-with-figs-torta/ It is light, fresh and lovely!

Aaarrrggghhhh..............Mrs B, what did I do wrong?  My cake was very heavy and doughyIck! [+o(]

I looked up the internet for what 3 cups of all-purpose flour would be and I got 1 cup = 125 G.  So I used 375 G which did seem quite a lot of flour to me.

Or maybe, I didn't beat the egg yolks and sugar enough?

The whites were grand, rose up in a huge white snowball!

Also, the cake didn't taste sweet although I dusted it liberally with icing sugar, just like in the pictures.

I have had another look at the recipe, in case I'd left something out but, no, as far as I could see, I'd followed the recipe to the letter.

Any comments or suggestions, svp?

Report   Reply Quote

What a pity, Mint.

We've just eaten at an Italian restaurant in Sheffield, where we've been visiting elderly relatives, very good food, a family-run place, and they had 2 meals with figs - absolutely delicious!

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Oh my goodness, it is 3 tablespoons of flour, not 3 cups, no wonder it was heavy and doughy!

It is usually sweet enough, perhaps the sugar was masked by all that flour?
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Don't know why I read cups instead of tablespoons.  I think it could be because I was watching an American programme about baking and I was thinking I'd have to find out how much a cupful is.

It's exactly the sort of silly mistake I make on a daily basis and it's a horrible feeling, not being certain about the way you do thingsIck! [+o(]

Still, I bought some large, brown eggs today and I will have another go.

Thanks, again.

Report   Reply Quote

Thank you, Mrs Bucket.  Don't know why I read cups instead of tablespoons.  I think it could be because I was watching an American programme about baking and I was thinking I'd have to find out how much a cupful is.

It's exactly the sort of silly mistake I make on a daily basis and it's a horrible feeling, not being certain about the way you do thingsIck! [+o(]

Still, I bought some large, brown eggs today and I will have another go.

Thanks, again.

Report   Reply Quote

I make a ginger cake, the mix done  in a pan and that seems to have a LOT of flour in it, but is always lovely and light.

The basic recipe on the fig cake reminds me of another recipe I have made, cannot remember what though, certainly fresh fruit in it, plums comes to mind, but I could be wrong.

Report   Reply Quote

So nobody tried yet Gardian's baked figs with booze & ice cream ??

Shame on you !

All this faffing around with fig cakes & cups vs tablespoons !

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine