South West (Aquitaine, Midi-Pyrénées)

Topic has 61 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Wanted: Property Let or Purchase Near Sarlat/Salignac

But surely, even in "rural areas", there are jobs to be had and good schools for the children?Stick out tongue [:P]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

If that is the case Mint, why can they not stop building appartements in cities. Wherever you go they are building, building building. They can't stop building. It is giving me a headache. The noise !!!!

Why also are houses so cheap in rural France ? I mean for the same price of a two bed flat in Tours you could buy a farmhouse near Sarlat or a chalet/house with crystal mountain views in Savoie.

This is all very confusing.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I agree that there are other lovely parts of France. I like the area around Beaune and Macon very much, but when driving south on the A20 and I go round a bend and sees the Bassin de Brive ahead that just makes me feel like I’m being welcomed home. I suppose it’s a bit like falling in love. Plenty of people who you like, but not many that you actually love.

I agree about unemployment. I often find myself pointing out to visiting family and friends that our house is in quite a deprived area. It doesn’t show in the good weather with tatty markets, but in the winter when people are scouring the second hand clothes stalls which replace the catch-pennies it’s a different matter. It has recently been made worse by the closure of the only factory of any real size in Sarlat.

If what you think about British children not being good at English or French is true then that is the fault of the French education system in failing to adapt. I write as someone who worked for many years in a very multi-lingual school and although I can’t speak about how good they were at their mother tongue they all left with a good standard of English. One of them even wrote the “Hinglish” dictionary.

Report   Reply Quote

I don't think it is a problem with the schooling system at all as the French curriculum in French schools is taught in French. Full stop. If you choose to enter your children into a French school with broken or non exist French then that is the responsibility of the parent to get them up to speed not the school.

My OH spends a good 1hr per evening with the kids homework and most of that is on French verbs. How expats families cope in this situation I really have no idea.

Without having a full grasp of written and spoken French upon leaving school kids will be at a massive disadvantage in the employment market in France. Of course they can work abroad, but would you want that ?. Me no, which is why it is French, French, French.

So certainly if I was an expat I would not enter my kids into a school with other English speaking students. To much of a distraction.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF - oh that one (or those ones.)There were 2, but it's just french people they don't like/trust. Mainly because they can't understand the language.
One of them is still here, (retired) will never return to the UK as they love being in the countryside.
The other has gone back to the UK - marriage problems, his wife is a toonie anyway.
And those who couldn't earn a living and support their family - I've always said that unless you're retired, or have a good job lined up, or have family here, it's not the place for you.
But sometimes it's best to at least try the adventure, even if it doesn't work out. You learn from mistakes, and won't  believe the negative reports  until you've proved it for yourself.

Report   Reply Quote

This link arrived in my inbox a minute ago and I thought of this thread:

7 reasons why you shoukd live in the Dordogne:

http://www.completefrance.com/home/7_reasons_you_should_live_in_dordogne_1_4763758?utm_medium=email&utm_source=eshot&utm_campaign=newsletterlink

Sorry I can't make it live on my ipad.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

I'm glad you said 'near' Moutiers, as Moutiers is rather an arm pit of a place, helas, there are too many of such places in the Alpes, there again, these places are usually where there was factories and work.

And yet again, back to why some regions were taken up by foreigners, and surely that was usually down to the price. The locals had to leave to work and that left properties far far cheaper than in the big towns and cities in other regions of France. Add to that inherited properties that no one wanted or were split between too many family members which ended up being sold or left to wrack and ruin and then sold.

Report   Reply Quote

Idun said ...

'And yet again, back to why some regions were taken up by foreigners, and surely that was usually down to the price. The locals had to leave to work and that left properties far far cheaper than in the big towns and cities in other regions of France'

I rest my case. So what hope do 'foreigners' have for finding work if the locals f*** off long before because there was naff all work. Apart from opening an unprofitable gîte, yogurt, camping site or just building dodgy roofs for other expats on the black what hope do expats have ?

Seriously. This is my point. STOP this nonsense. Move to France the right way.

@ Gardengirl

That article, does not really help does it. LOL

My wife (French) bought a slice of cheese in Domme. Just a slice, a small slice from a cheese shop. We were hungry.

IT COST 7 EUROS. YES 7 EUROS FOR THE MOST TINY SLICE OF CHEESE YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE.

Who said Paris was expensive ?
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine