French Language

Topic has 46 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: British words the French are pronouncing incorrectly

And this is how my french educated son read this, all with french pronunciation:

Mo re com be and  Wi se   ..............ofcourse a double V as is said in french, is a V sound.

I suppose the way the kids learn, helps me pronounce written french, as long as they sound the letter(s), it sort of makes sense.

Report   Reply Quote

There is a word that I think iIpronounce correctly but as I have never seen it written, dont know the spelling and cannot find it in a dictionary then I could be way off.

I know that en travers(e) is for something on its side but for something plutôt on the diagonal I hear and say en billet or maybe embillet.

So what is the correct word please?

Report   Reply Quote

En biais

Report   Reply Quote

Wow!!!!

There never was a better example than that! Can you imagine how thick I would have appeared had I written it the way I hear it and pronounce it!!!!!!!

Yes, to my ears .....et and ais have the same sound.

Never in a million years would I have found that in the dictionary.

Report   Reply Quote

I am so glad that it is not just me who tries to look words up, words that I use, but have no idea how to spell them........... and my searching, proves fruitless and frustrating.

If I really need to know, I usually get there in the end by going round the houses......... but I have literally wasted hours and hours in doing so.

My feeling about it is, that I would rather be able to chat to anyone in France about just about anything ....... it is after all a language...... ie using ones tongue to speak.  My literacy, well as many french people do, I can always get a scribeWink [;-)]

Report   Reply Quote

If you want to bolster your self confidence regarding literacy just look at a page of ads on Leboncoin, it is absolutely shocking and I say that as an immigrant who makes more than his fair share of mistakes because I dont let embarrassment hold me back.

Of those that I have bought from they were all French born and (poorly) educated, not literacy but I bought a suspended cieling on Leconcoin recently, enough for 50m2 it said, the tiles are 60cm square, I took one look at the pile of tiles and said no way is that 60m2, he said there are 80 tiles, 80 times 0.6 = 48m2 Cry Out [:'(] when I tactfully explained that we are talking areas which are expressed in metres squared and that the correct calculation was 8à x 0.6 x 0.6 giving around the 30m2 I had estimated he had he gave me that look that I was trying to have him over.

We did the deal, I ended up paying €10 less than the  E100 we had agreed for 40 percent less qnd he thought I zqs ripping hi; off<

So;ething stupid hqs hqppened to ;y keyboqrd qll the chqrqcters qre co;ing out zrongm dont knoz zhqt I hqve done Cry Out [:'(]

Report   Reply Quote

'Et' and 'ais' have the same sound. It's just 'biais' as in biased - but not the same sense as prejudiced !

At an angle. Reverso gives lots of translations including 'skew' or 'askew'.

Also, as you can imagine, the verb biaiser - to bias, skew or distort - lends itself to wordplay. It's used in sewing - something to do with hemming, I believe. But I'm not a seamstress or seamster plutôt.

See the song 'La Biaiseuse' by Marie-Paule Belle... that dates me !

@+

Andrew

Report   Reply Quote

Looks like your key board has gone qwerty, UK.

Mine used to do that mid sentence. I used to do something like Maj+Alt Gr, or Maj+Alt or something like that
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine