French Language

Topic has 20 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: French words you are pronouncing incorrectly

Idun - same as you I find rust and hotwaterbottle difficult. Seems to be due to the double l plus an r.

And I've never worked out how to say the name for holly - houx.  The french say just like a grunt.
Or what about St. Elix Theux? And Pouyguilles?

Report   Reply Quote

Pat isa doddle init. , 'olly? Iss slike an East Landan who init. Ya know, 'ooooo'

Gud 'ere init Cool [8-|]

That squiggle's the one that's always got me and I'm forever getting corrected, but not every day you understand Confused [8-)]

Edit  : - As far as place names are concerned, look no further than Cheshire and Lower Peover, pronounced Pee-ver 'cause it's a posh and bleedin expensive to live Blink [blink]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Idun - same as you I find rust and hotwaterbottle difficult. Seems to be due to the double l plus an r.

And I've never worked out how to say the name for holly - houx.  The french say just like a grunt.
Or what about St. Elix Theux? And Pouyguilles?

Houx........ I'm ok.

And I think I am OK with SantElix Tuhhh or Tuhhhx as there were no accents.

And pwee gie, or there abouts........ am I right???? 'ishWhistles [Www]

Lots of things I am Ok with, but Chancer, you had me a little lost there, it was the qu'a bit that confused me about the rest.

Report   Reply Quote

One of my pet hates is 'armchair'  or  'fauteuil' Confused [8-)]

Another thing is the way the the letter 's's is never pronounced at the end of words or place names, except when it is ?
Cry Out [:'(]

John.

Never forget that you are unique, just like everyone else.
http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1
   Report   Reply Quote

....... such as Reims, Alès, Uzès etc.

Not being able to find the road we wanted years ago, I asked a passerby which way to turn for Reims - pronounced with the awful accent I had. I've been able to pronounce it since then.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine