Earning a Living

Topic has 26 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Mint.....Do you like Fish & Ships ?

I know that they were serving curry sauce in my part of NE England in the mid 70's and probably were much earlier, but that was when I abandoned my parents home, and subsequently used fish and chip shops from time to time.

As I came from a home where fish and chips, very good ones were made at home, I would not have known earlier......... the chippy was somewhere that we only used rarely and that was often for a bag of chips in a cone shaped bag, to feed hungry kids on the way home from somewhere....... and was a real treat, all that vinegar at the bottom of the bag.Whistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

There's already a fish and chip van operating in the South of the Dordogne. It parks outside the local bar on Thursday nights and does quite well by all accounts. I've never tried it because like Mint I rarely used to eat it in UK. The van's been around for several years but it's gone through several different owners.
   Report   Reply Quote

Diverting briefly back to the butter discussion on the previous page, the only dishes I have been offered butter with in the Vendée have been grilled sardines, and oysters.
   Report   Reply Quote

@ Lindal

It has gone through several owners Lindal because it is a dumb business idea. I bet 99 percent of gite businesses in the Dordogne have gone through several owners. The reason being YOU CAN'T EARN A LIVING.

I have a great idea for a good food van business and it will work. BRILLIANT for a ski resort.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I think the CC van etc will be the one operating around here, definitely serves lots of villages and is definitely mobile.  And will do your party. Not used them though.

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

I have never eaten fish and chips much since being an adult, but I really do like them when I have good ones. My biggest disappointment was once in Whitby, where a recommended fish restaurant was not up to my local chippy to be honest........ not the Magpie, never eaten there....... cannot be bothered to queue, and that queue may well be worth itSmile [:)]

And they were something that sometimes we really did fancy in France, so as soon as I saw good fish, I would make them, often I just have the fish, but for me, lovely cod with a good crispy batter is delicious.

Just wondering why you anyone would not fancy them, unless they didn't like fish..... or like a friend of mine who has now been on a 47 year diet (not kidding) and would not touch them at any price....... and she is not anorexic or super thin eitherWhistles [Www]

Report   Reply Quote

It's not that I don't like them.  There is no such van as discussed round here and do not like them enough to do a round trip of maybe 100 km to eat them.

As for eating them in the UK, I suppose living practically on the doorstep, well, 2 minutes' drive, can't be bothered to queue and perhaps also taking them a bit for granted.  Plus, all that visible fat.

If I had a chip pan and can cook them like you, idun, I'd probably use Friday as an excuse to eat them every week!

There are some things that you need to steer clear of because they are too much of a temptation!!!

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I don't know whether it's because they can't make a living as such (like I say they always seem to busy), or whether they underestimate the amount of work you have to put in. If you are imagining a quiet life where you sell your fish a chips at a few markets and put your feet up for the rest of the time then it certainly isn't that! Neither is running gites . It's really hard work all through the season where you want to be enjoying the sun.
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine