Finding/Owning French Property

Topic has 50 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Struggling to get agents to send details of property

Not rude, observant. I believe that you do it to get responses so this is my last reply to you on this thread. I hope that the original poster has taken the numerous warnings, got your measure and treats your 'advice' and experience with a shovelful of salt.
At least blessed when it comes to written communication gave me a laugh. Who told you that? Mummy? Shame you're not blessed with relevant knowledge as well.
   Report   Reply Quote

Also, you can try greenacres.com (something like that, the spelling might vary a little).  Everything in English PLUS you could read adverts from agents or from individuals.

Most agents, especially in areas popular for expats, do have some English.  In fact, as ALBF might point out in a minute, they might even have been Tesco cash till staff or Quickfit mechanics in the UKBig Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Many thanks for all the advice. Apologies, I should have been clearer in my original post. We are looking to purchase a holiday home in France, not to make a permanent move. We will use it in during school holidays mainly although when we eventually retire we would look to spending more time in France but not moving from the UK. We are experienced in renovating so will buy a 'project' as our budget is not huge. We wont be renting out, its just for our use or family and friends. We have friends who have a rural barn they have renovated near Isigny La Buet and have been coming out since 2006 so have a good knowledge of the area. We love the area too so this is where we are looking. Ive seen places we like near Marcilly and Reffuvielle so far. Some really useful information from you all - I dont know why I hadnt considered coming over in February half term but I will now and thanks for the advice of just seeing two properties a day. I think I was led to believe there were many empty properties about waiting to be sold but my experience is different so I will rethink our timescale. We are in no rush and its a longterm purchase so we will take our time. Thanks again :-)
   Report   Reply Quote

Out of interest, is the area I am looking considered an 'expat area' - Normandy- Manche: Isigny La Buet and surrounding areas?
   Report   Reply Quote

@ airBinB

You are right to give up. I would blow you out of the water when it comes to France.

@ Minty, I forgot the Tescos cash till staff and Kwik-fit-fitter joke. To be fair, they are probably over trained to be a Leggit estate agent representtives. LOL. I wonder how much that bloke made this year ?

To the OP...

I am a great fan of property finders. If you can find one that is not British or foreign they could help and save you a lot of hassle !!!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Sorry OP, I just read your last post.

You want a holiday home/renovation type project with a not so great budget.

Well that is a different subject altogether.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Manche and Basse Normandie in general tends to have expat "pockets". I don't actually know Isigny la Buet so can't advise on that. Ger for instance is a bit Little Britain, as is St Hilaire du Harcouët, so if it's near those places...

I would be very wary of signing for a reno project after one viewing.
   Report   Reply Quote

MrsJaye wrote:
Out of interest, is the area I am looking considered an 'expat area' - Normandy- Manche: Isigny La Buet and surrounding areas?

Very nice area, Mrs J.  We always used to stop off in St Hilaire du Harcoet for breakfast rather than eat the so-so breakfast on the boat.

Now, I wouldn't like to be quoted on this but my IMPRESSION is that, generally speaking, all of Lower Normandy (Manche, Orne) is popular with the British.  Easy access I guess and prices are modest (especially if you aren't considering one of those beautiful Norman chateaux)!

Do look for an at least basically renovated property.  I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise.  Why go to the bother of renovating yourself (working when you should be enjoying yourselves on holiday), when you could have a ready-to-go place where someone else has done the work and is losing money on the renovation?Big Smile [:D]

Edit;  sorry, ET, I was writing and was interrupted and I posted before reading your post.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine