French Food and Wine

Topic has 24 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Can you get stir-fry in France?

My favourite stirfry was chicken and cashew nuts. With some veg, mostly shallots and a few coloured peppers.
For the flavourings, supermarkets here have a chinese section with things like soy sauce (various types) oyster sauce, mushroom sauce etc. Try a little of each, but don't be too heavy-handed.
I think the chinese have a variety of frying oils too.

Report   Reply Quote

I agree that you dont need loads of fancy veg or even bean sprouts but when so little is available beans sprouts alone would lift things, I have a couple of pre-prepared Aldi UK ones in the fridge but they wont last till tuesday, one has no bean shoots but apart from the carrots and brocolli no way would I find Edamame beans, red onion, spring greens, chinese leaf. The onions I see occasionally but I would spend a couple of hours going round all the shops with no success, even the broccolli would be a Lucky find.

Looking at the other one I would come up short on the bean shoots, water chestnuts, chinese leaf and the mange tout Rodney!

Now that I eat properly and have regained my taste/palate I find food just does not need overpowering salt laden sauces, certainly not a fresh veg stir fry, I would put soy sauce and mushroom ketchup out as condiments for those who do crave it but wont spoil (for me) the dish by using them.

Report   Reply Quote

It's beginning to sound as if you have landed in the French equivalent of Sunderland Chancer.

Even in our backwater we get most of those vegetables for a significant part of the year - and I liken the produce on our local market at this time of year to the waste bin from Tescos.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Stir fry is what I cook to use up the left over veg and bits of meat.
All ingredients can be bought in the local supermarket except for the 7 spice mix, which I get from the UK..lasts about year..Usual ingredients..any old left over onion, carrot, pepper, broccoli, and anything else in the fridge. Teaspoon of 7 spice mixed into a paste with garlic and a small piece of fresh ginger..For the protein bit.. smoked tofu, or cashew nuts or left over chicken/duck/pork. Stir fry whole lot, add a bit of lime or lemon juice, add either noodles or cooked rice and two teaspoons of tamari soy sauce (from the bio shop). Easy weekday dinner!
   Report   Reply Quote

Fresh Ginger, local supermarket!!!!! I would give at best a 50% chance of finding either peppers or broccoli but not both and they would certainly be pre-rotted for my convenience. Dave 21478 can take the credit for coining that phrase.

A few years ago I was going to cooking classes with a group of people hosted at Amiens by a retired chef, the deal was that he would buy all the ingrédients as even all the others who lived in the metropole were likely to come up short, each week he would tell us what the next weeks recipé would be, - probablement because he could not count on finding the ingrédients and may have to switch recipés.

We did some great dishes but I became wholeheartedly sick with spending up to a week travelling to Amiens, Arras, St Quentin etc to try and buy what to me are basic fresh ingrédients to make them later on, Ginger was one that I could rarely find.

I still have the tub of dried coriandre that you gave me all those years ago, only once since then have I found it fresh and that was at the arab market.

My father was from Sunderland, Croydon must have been like another planet to him back in 1930.

Report   Reply Quote

Vegan friend is a Parisien that lives and works in Lille so she can usually find what she wants and in Bio also but the price tags on what she brings with her make my eyes water. But at least it is available there and she can also eat out.

You cannot even find a vegetarian dish in town let alone vegan, the restauranteurs give the same look as I get when I ask for an alcohol free beer, or failing that a coffee in a bar.

Report   Reply Quote

I can get all the stuff from Lidl. Maybe not the ginger but it does keep if you chop it up and freeze it. Leader Price has even better stuff..Cheapest place for coconut milk, which is great for enriching vegan dishes. Lidl is also good value for nuts. I have a good recipe for a nut roast that basically has onion, chopped mixed nuts, breadcrumbs, stock cube, water and Marmite (not essential). A good vegan standby.

Report   Reply Quote

Tofu in Lidl?

We have a Lidl hypermarket, never seen a bigger one but no tofu, brocolli occasionally, about the only things that I always buy that I can be sure they will have are bananas (more expensive than anywhere else) apples although often not the bi-colores, and pears, often they have no oranges at all, pineapple and mango 50% of the time, sweet potatoes maybe 25% of the time.

Its a one stop shop but I have to choose from what is there for some fresh stuff.

Nearest Leader Price is 40km away, the wrong side of Arras.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine