The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: culture clash!

Yes, they do like scones!  I have sometimes made tiny cheese scones for eating with cheese as a change from more bread though I myself like cheese scones with jam!

They call a sponge cake a genoese but I can't think of the word they use for flapjacks at the moment.

Carrot cake is OK as is apple cake though I usually make those for large gatherings so I can hardly go around asking how do you like the cake I brought?

As for muffins, do you use butter or oil?  I have not tried them using butter but with the oil ones, you musn't stir them too much.  I haven't made them for ages so might do a batch soon and see how they turn out.  I think they are best with fresh, juicy fruit:  oranges, apples, cherries from my neighbour's garden, figs, etc  

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

I use oil in the muffins, noted that on my recipe, 'quick and easy' which they are, with a big note...... for 'Mr Id'.

He likes them best with ginger and crystallised ginger in them!

When the stuff I made for xmas is all used up from the freezer I shall make some.

Report   Reply Quote

Our butcher gives us beef suet free of charge.

I think it's called graisse de rognon.

It has to be well refrigerated before it can be grated for mincemeat.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

IF I asked in advance my butcher would also give me the graisse de rognon, but it was hard to get.

IF I had brought suet from the UK, then, I would prefer to keep that for dumplings, rather than mincemeat, as I could get away with grated butter in mincemeat and dumplings never taste as good with other than beef suet.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine