The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 37 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Brits in France

Chancer, I was born in Redruth, lived near Truro for several years before we moved to near St Austell where I went to school.
ALBF, my neighbours are happy that I come from Cornwall, they say that it gives us a lot in common.
I believe that the reason that so many incoming Brits are prepared to pay over the odds for property is because even the inflated prices make them seem such good value compared to what they’re selling in the U.K. and so many buyers see it as a race. I often wonder what the think after they’ve moved, settled in and realised that other similar properties in their area might be for sale for half what they paid.
   Report   Reply Quote

BiB.

Graandfather lived at Callestick, father retired to Holywell Bay and moved from there to Mount Hawke.

As with any place that I have fond memories of, visiting again after many years is always a negative experience, there is not much modern "progress" that improves a place in my eyes, others would see turning somewhere into Dubai as progress.

One place I recently drove through where I used to work was Edenbridge in Kent, the main drag through and high street are unrecognisable and it for me was an exception because it was well done and an improvement.

Report   Reply Quote

In 1982 I bought a watch in Hong Kong. My Australian boss asked our local Chinese contact if I'd got a bargain. He replied that if I was happy with the price of paid, and the seller was happy with the price he received, then I'd got a bargain.
The watch still works.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Well said Betty, very true.
NickP
   Report   Reply Quote

If after buying the watch you walked down the street and you see the same watch being sold at half the price in a different shop, would you still call it a bargain ?

Seloger is the second most popular website for selling houses in France. If the seller is selling their property with a number of different estate agents you can almost guarantee that their will be a difference in price amongst them. Sometimes 30k - 40k.

If you sign for the house with an estate agent at its higher price only to find later someone else was selling it at 30 K lower, would you say you had a bargain ?

If the British are so blasé when buying property over the odds, why do they worry about paint being more expensive in France. They don't care if they lose 50k when buying a house but worry about paying 15 euros more in France for buying some paint to paint the house with.

Gotcha !!!
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

Peter Mayle of A Year in Provence fame has just died.

Was he pivotal in the invasion of the Provence (and other parts of France) by British people?

Has anyone now living in France or has a résidence secondaire NOT read the book?

ALBF, go on, be the first to answerSmile [:)]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

LOL

No, never read the book. Never watched the programme. Never driven a 2CV. Cycled a bike with a baguette tied to the back of it. Shopped at a market whilst whistling the music from Amelie. Think I am French. Painted my shutters blue. Kiss anyone I don't want to kiss. Pretend that my neighbours like me. Change to a French accent when speaking a French word in an English conversation. (That one annoys me more than blue shutters).

I could carry on...

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

I think the paint issue is generally considered to be quality rather than cost
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine