The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 39 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Back to reality

It's a bit like IKEA. Massive breakfast, minimum cost. Mind you, is it any different to the eateries in the big Centres Commerciales in France where you pay very little and get frites à volonté? Many of my French friends swear by them for a cheap and cheerful meal if you're having to grab lunch on the go with a large family. I've never eaten in either those or a Tesco caff, although I've forced down a full English in IKEA cos the caff opens before the store,so if you get there early,it's rude not to. And with an IKEA Family Card, two breakfasts and free tea or coffee come in at about a fiver.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Wooly - We've been advised not to try to go into the the house just now.
These tenants have been very good - paid rent on time (with help from the 'social'),

Oops, that was the biggest mistake, letting to anyone on the social.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can call me Betty wrote:
It's a bit like IKEA. Massive breakfast, minimum cost. I've forced down a full English in IKEA cos the caff opens before the store,so if you get there early,it's rude not to. And with an IKEA Family Card, two breakfasts and free tea or coffee come in at about a fiver.

The first and only breakfast I ahve forced back up again in their carpark!  Think it was the powdered egg, scrambled egg that did it, disgusting much like their furniture.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Pat, I mentioned your problem tenants to OH who, in his professional life, had to know about property and tenancy laws.

He said it was a perfectly common problem and that you just had to go through the legal procedures but also confirmed what others have said, that it could "easily take a year".

Don't know if that's any consolation, Pat, but it IS common and you WILL get your home back.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Each to their own, Teapot. I've been nothing but impressed by stuff I've bought from IKEA. And I don't eat eggs much, in any shape or form.

Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

So sorry you are having problems Pat.
I spend about 6 weeks a year in the UK with my daughter and grandchildren and I honestly can’t say I feel any sense of dislocation. Driving up from Portsmouth I usually think “oh what a lot of English cars” and on day one I have an urge to say “merci bien, au revoir” in the supermarket, but then I adjust and pick up my English life.
I am sure if I moved back there are things I would have to get to grips with like “switch and save” 🤔 but I don’t think it would be too hard. Traffic and crowds would be the thing I would dislike most, I think.
   Report   Reply Quote

Patf wrote:
Wooly - We've been advised not to try to go into the the house just now.
These tenants have been very good - paid rent on time (with help from the 'social'), kept the place clean and tidy for 4years+. In fact all 4 lots of tenants (all immigrants) since we left have been trouble-free .
Another culture shock today - we went shopping in the huge Tesco and M&S in Camberley - the massive size of the stores, and choice of goods, was overwhelming! The upstairs cafe in Tesco sells 'breakfast' all day. Big plates of bacon eggs tomatoes beans fried bread . Enough for 3 meals for me. A small coffee is 3 times of the normal expresso in France.
There's still a lot of money about in some parts of the UK.

the massive size of the stores, and choice of goods, was overwhelming

I think that might be a question of where you were in France.
French Hypermarchés can be pretty overwhelming too...
I do agree about portion sizes though.. I believe it is the same with glasses of wine in the UK.

I am extremely sorry to hear of your predicament but can only offer my sympathy and best wishes for a rapid resolution of the problem.

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd; indeed in view of the silliness of the majority of mankind, a widespread belief is more likely to be foolish than sensible.
- Bertrand Russell
   Report   Reply Quote

Emily and others - Maybe it depends on the kind of environment in France. We were in a very small, very agricutural commune, surrounded by small "paysan" farmers.  20-30k from nearest town.
Mint  - oh dear - a year? Cry Out [:'(] But 6 months already.

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine