The Complete France Post Bag

Topic has 25 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: And the Bombs are falling

NB, unlike the Russian supported attack on the Syrian freedom fighters which used poison gas, the Allies attack seems to have killed NOONE. Give credit guys.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Retiring and being made a grandmother is exhausting 😉

From reports I saw medics were initially treating victims as sadly 'normal' casualties when non medics started shouting chemical attack and throwing water around ....

In any case my feeling is Mrs May would have been as well to recall Parliament and go through the process, I suspect there isn't much appetite for 'war' among the general public.
Quimper.co

Report   Reply Quote

Mint wrote,
Where did I say I favour one response over another? Fortunately for me, I am far enough away from any position of authority and government that I do not need to understand the problem or make critical decisions.

You did not say, which is why I asked the question, 'what would you do?'.
   Report   Reply Quote

EB, instinctively, I am against the idea of war and people being killed.

I'd wait for actual proof, allow the international chemical body do its investigations first and, as RH has said, I'd have the parliamentary debate before taking action.  I'd try all political means, sanctions, negotiations but I take the point that there are times when none of that would work.

I do question what constitutes "chemical".....I thought all bombs, bullets, whatever, have "chemicals" in them?  As for chlorine, it's such a common chemical with legitimate use (ask some swimming pool owners) that anybody can get hold of it. 

Too complicated a situation and too many parties involved, it would be a very brave person who would point the finger.

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Mint wrote:

I do question what constitutes "chemical".....I thought all bombs, bullets, whatever, have "chemicals" in them? As for chlorine, it's such a common chemical with legitimate use (ask some swimming pool owners) that anybody can get hold of it.

Yes all bombs do have chemicals in them and every physical thing is made up of chemicals.

From a purely non-expert view, I would say that a chemical weapon is one where the payload is designed to induce chemical reactions within its victims. This is different to normal bombs where the payload is designed to explode and create damage to things or people by virtue of the shock wave and or the shrapnel from the explosion. Or incendiary devices which are designed to create an intense fire.

Chlorine storage is not banned under the chemical warfare rules because it has many legitimate uses, but its use in a bomb or in deliberate release during conflict is prohibited. This is different from nerve agents where use and storage are both banned.
Andy

A European Rahinja.
   Report   Reply Quote

Thank you for the explanation, Andy.

So, back to my earlier question:  won't bombing chemical plants cause the toxic chemicals to be leaked everywhereWoot! [:-))]?

Would the chemicals be stored in liquid or gas form and would they be "stable" until activated?

I still think that it's odd to class some weapons chemical and ignore others.  So, we stop the guy from using chemical agents but we don't mind if he uses other weapons, ESPECIALLY weapons that we have sold him in the past?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Careful mint, you know who on here will be accusing you of being a Communist, or at the very least a leftie. Just accept it is fine for any country to bomb another without parliamentary consent, because they are soooooo concerned about the people of Syria. I look forward to Ms May welcoming all the new refugees that will now surely arrive into Britain with open arms.

Report   Reply Quote

Mint is quite right to have reservations. We all do to a certain extent. It has nothing to do with political persuasion.
But, a government has to have reserve executive powers which can be exercised as needed.

Removing chemical weapons manufacturing facilities seems a good use of these powers, especially as noone was killed.
Ticking over, just about.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine