French Language

Topic has 32 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: french/english idioms

Yes that's a good example Mint.
As I (think) I wrote earlier, I think language reflects a nation's essence. So I would like to think that we british have something in common with the french. Many of whom I became close to.
In spite of earlier wars, and current Brexit differences.

Report   Reply Quote

M. Google, il dit "annoncer clairement ses intentions" so - 'he does not clearly announce his intentions'
Joined in 2005 - previously chessfou, etc. - email/PW mismatch every so often meant rejoining several times
   Report   Reply Quote

évidemment!Big Smile [:D]
N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

I recently tried a couple of things which fell completely flat with my French audience. I will use English here to avoid mucking about with the French accents.

On entering the local bar, I was asked by my good friend,Fred, the barman: "A beer?"
I replied as I might in my UK local, but in French: "Is the Pope catholic?"
Fred, confused, as were the other customers: "Yes, of course he is. Why do you ask? Would you like a beer?"

Then to a lorry driver whose vehicle had broken down outside our house and was stuck for 7 hours until a mechanic got him going at 9pm. I had supplied them both with refreshments and offered the use of our "facilities" and said to them as they were finally leaving: "I hope your dinners are not in the dog."
The driver's reply: "In the dog? We don't have a dog."

Vive la difference.
   Report   Reply Quote

Yes their sense of humour is different from ours.
Did anyone see the tv series Excuse my French?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excuse_My_French_(2006_TV_series)
Marcus Brigstocke tried out one of his standup routines on a french audience, I think it was in Paris. It fell flat, so he made it more slapstick and they loved it.

Report   Reply Quote

Slapstick, dirty postcard and lavatorial always seem to work
   Report   Reply Quote

Wow.

Did they know that you were "les Anglais".

"F u c k you" seems to get a good response too.

Report   Reply Quote

Pat, I have found another one that  you might like.  Found in one of those waiting room magazines.....this time at my kiné's. 

The expression is les pièds à terre et la tete dans les étoiles.  I think I prefer to have my head amongst the stars like the French instead of in the clouds like the Brits.  France 1, GB 0 on this occasionStick out tongue [:P]

N'allez pas trop vite - Proust
   Report   Reply Quote

Newsletter Sign Up

Our Privacy Policy

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine