French Food and Wine

Topic has 30 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Gingeur (trade name) or a gluggable non alcoholic wine

You are so right about these drinks being too sweet.  I don't like any bottled fruit juice that I see; there is always gunk at the bottom of the bottles and it makes me heave just lookingIck! [+o(]

I'll have to think about mocktails as suggested by Teapot.

Yes, I remember Shloer, sparkling and yes, probably too sweet.  Me, I was always watching my weight and buying clothes that were too small just so that I could lose a size to get into them.....oh, the foolishness of youth!  I was a PLJ girl:  remember that disgusting and bitter lemon juice that was slightly yellowish green?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Hi Mint, glad to see that Jazzer found an outlet for Gingeur and hope that you manage to get some. Will definitely try it if I come across some in a salon de the or somewhere similar. I also remember PLJ and trying to like it - ugh!
   Report   Reply Quote

I used to like sweet drinks but don't any more.

In France I would buy quality sirops I liked quit a few of them, especially the aniseed. I was fond of fraise but I would only mix it with sparkling water. Of course this is a vichy fraise in a cafe or bar. the only sirop I never liked in France was lime, and once I got hold of a bottle of Rose's, but that was disappointing.

Bane of my social life, the lack of a variety of good soft drinks.

And you were right getting in a strop, I do about this and it is what others find unimportant......strangely you should hear the blokes if they reckon the beer is off, or making a big fuss is the 'measure' doesn't quite make the mark!!!! But I am making an unnecessary fuss if I want a decent drink!
   Report   Reply Quote

The only bottled water I really like is Vichy Catalan, but it seems to be a bit expensive outside Spain. It has a very distinctive taste.

The only fizzy drink, with practically no sugar - La Casera. Also Spanish.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken 1880 - 1956

Some may not like his views, but what a prediction!
   Report   Reply Quote

PLJ certainly still exists, yes, I used to quite like it, but find it just a little too sour now.  Sure I've seen it in some English sections of some supermarkets here, but not often!

When I was  poor and driving, I found soda water (plain) was an acceptable alternative to the usual lemondade available in pubs.  Now real lemonade is a different beastie again, but is usually best home made!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

idun wrote:
I used to like sweet drinks but don't any more. In France I would buy quality sirops I liked quit a few of them, especially the aniseed. I was fond of fraise but I would only mix it with sparkling water. Of course this is a vichy fraise in a cafe or bar. the only sirop I never liked in France was lime, and once I got hold of a bottle of Rose's, but that was disappointing. Bane of my social life, the lack of a variety of good soft drinks. And you were right getting in a strop, I do about this and it is what others find unimportant......strangely you should hear the blokes if they reckon the beer is off, or making a big fuss is the 'measure' doesn't quite make the mark!!!! But I am making an unnecessary fuss if I want a decent drink!

Thank you, idun, for being so understanding about me getting in a strop.  I thought, bad enough that I have to drink water at other people's but, if it's in my own home, I expect my needs to be met!

Here is a link to what I was saying:

Second line of pictures, the one with the red top that says réglisse but it's aniseed, as far as I can taste.  Nice small, flat bottle, easily popped into a handbag and the recommended 15 drops added to a glass of l'eau pétillante. 

Having read too many Victorian novels, I fancy that I might be the heroine in a romantic novel and I am ailing and counting laudanum drops into my drink!Big Smile [:D]

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

We all have the right to have a strop when we are not suited.

Sometimes sounding reasonable or saying nothing, just won't do!
   Report   Reply Quote

Well, would you believe, what did I find in our "drinks" cupboard today (a limited selection that's for sure) but Rose's lime juice!  Bought, I suspect, last year when I was off wine due to medication ... not, I think, ever as sharp as PLJ, but definitely something to try again when non-alcoholic needs must!

Judith
ex W1, via 47 and 11 and now [just] in 34, equidistant from Carcassonne, Narbonne and Béziers, where I hope we'll finally stay!!

Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine