Driving in France

Topic has 36 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Mobile home park address ok to register vehicle?

It does appear that you're hell bent on buying a car or camper and willing to go to whatever lengths (and expense) it involved to make it happen. Have you considered just looking at the alternatives to buying?
It's usually "travellers" by the way. Certainly in English. But the ethnic origin of the travelling population in the UK is more varied than that of mainland Europe.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

Does anyone know if renting long-term an apartment/small house would be a possibility? Would that count as a permanent address or doesn’t it work like that?

If that works, an off season rental in an area where the OP’s research shows that it’s a possible future home area could work out nicely; owners have a low income rather than no income and the OP could try living as a local.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Report   Reply Quote

Betty - yes I have considered (and still are considering) all sorts of other options. It's funny on another forum the bloke that runs it seems to assume you're a complete dill and haven't thought of the obvious before asking the question you come to the forum to ask. That's pretty common on forums though isn't it? Ask question A, you get answers to questions B-Z.

Among other options I have these ones -
rent,
lease,
buy from a Dutch company that registers it for you,
find another person to set up a Societe Civile company then buy,
buy then register in Bulgaria!,
buy in the UK,
buy french and have a french resident friend register it,
land in France with all my wordly belongings in a big shipping container and say, "Bonjour la France, here I am".

Gardengirl. Renting - it's more to do with how long you're in the country and under what status. Merely renting, even long term (say over 6 months) as a visitor gives you no residency privileges. You have to commit to immigrating (or at least a very long stay) and have a residence before you can even own a car.

Seems kinda crazy considering they let anyone (needs two people) set up a two bob company and buy anything. So not really good security in that (if it's an anti terror thing).
   Report   Reply Quote

I actually got very close - I have a friend that is a French resident. I said 'how about if I buy a car, you register and own it. I'll use it when I'm in France. The rest of the time you can use it'. She doesn't have a car and therefore is a bit isolated and limited in work options. I thought it could be a good option for us both. Problem is she doesn't have a licence so that's out (unless he gets one).
   Report   Reply Quote

I actually got very close - I have a friend that is a French resident. I said 'how about if I buy a car, you register and own it. I'll use it when I'm in France. The rest of the time you can use it'. She doesn't have a car and therefore is a bit isolated and limited in work options. I thought it could be a good option for us both. Problem is she doesn't have a licence so that's out (unless she gets one).
   Report   Reply Quote

Bizarrely, I never knew you needed a driving licence to own a car. To drive one, yes, but not to own one. Is it an insurance thing?
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

You can own it, but not register it (alone). The exception (or way around that) is that you can put another person (that has a drivers licence) on the Carte Gris as the Principal Holder. I thought I was ok there, but that person has to be resident in France! Sacre bleu!

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F10477?fbclid=IwAR2buQke-8-uHiYr_n_rtZ7rAP_ADY0vJL4hMtZc8Z6lkQbDfZrYDS7Fp4M

Though if you look at this part of that site it says to prove residence is quite simple (also covers the Traveller issue):

https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F1028

I wonder if I could simply provide an invoice from a hotel or campsite? Or state I am hosted by my friend.
   Report   Reply Quote

Used to be that more or less any address would do. Registering a car to a holiday home or a temporary address never used to be an issue. The trouble is that the French system is getting more joined up. There is more to being resident in France than just having an address, you are also expected to have a national insurance number, a taxpayer number etc. The more cross checks the computer does to verify your identify, the fewer loopholes are left open.

I think you are on the right track in looking for a French resident who will agree to help you out by registering and insuring a car and putting you on the insurance policy as a named driver. Does this friend not have another friend who might help?
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine