Driving in France

Topic has 19 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Winter Tyres !!!

nomoss wrote:
on top of that has conned you into buying winter tyres.

It's referred to in the trade (or in mechanical terms if you prefer) as "Bullsh*t baffles brains"

Fitting winter tyres in winter is not a con, fitting summer tyres in winter would be.
Winter tyres work in summer too although the wear rate is a little higher, by comparison summer tyres do not work in winter and if you have a crash you could be a lot worse off.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

I have noooo idea what you are going on about Mr Nomss.

I will try again.

Front two tyres were getting to the point when you would consider changing them. One got shredded.

The back two were 3 years old and one got damaged and needed replacing.

That leaves (quick maths here) 1 tyre left. You can't match two unevenly worn tyres on the front or back. Even I know that.

The garage did not con anyone as they were happy to change them once the mistake was spotted.

Secondly, the car is a 4X4 so I guess rear and front don't change much.

Lastly, even muppets like me can feel the difference between winter and summer tyres. In fact there is such a difference that anyone should be able to feel it.

Also, in less than two months time there will be a new baby ALBF. So methinks that keeping them is a very good idea.

If it snows when I have to take Mrs ALBF to the hospital at 3am.....I'm sorted LOL.
ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

The cost of going to a garage to get summer and winter tyres swapped onto a single set of rims each spring and autumn make it much more cost-effective to buy a second set of rims if you are going to keep the car for more than a year or two.
   Report   Reply Quote

pomme wrote:
The cost of going to a garage to get summer and winter tyres swapped onto a single set of rims each spring and autumn make it much more cost-effective to buy a second set of rims if you are going to keep the car for more than a year or two.
I kept mine on all year as I din't have a set of rims and buying them would cost more than two sets of tyres, even 2nd hand off Ebay.

Passivpool Energy "A++" rated Swimming Pools, the lowest running costs in the Universe.
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine