French Food and Wine

Topic has 49 replies.
Print Search Sort Posts:

Re: Does anybody actually LIKE galette des roi?

Congrats to the ALBF family.
Les voyages forment la jeunesse
   Report   Reply Quote

It's not always baby Jesus nowadays, Loiseau.  You get all sorts of film and cartoon characters (which sadly I never recognise) and the last one I had was a ......ceramic mushroom!  I mean it wasn't even one of those magic ones?

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

In answer to the original question, mint; you could substitute "galette des rois " with "mince pies", "Christmas pudding", "Bûche de Noël" or "Christmas cake" and probably find the same. There's a good reason why we are only subjected to these things for the briefest of periods each year.
On a purely personal note, I'd make an exception for panettone. That is all.
Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon graveyard.
   Report   Reply Quote

@ patf

The birth was quite straightforward to be fair and very quick. Luckily we only live 10 mins from the hospital.

When we lived rural (where we had our first two kids) the hospital was 1hr away by car. Had we lived there, she would never had made it in time to get an epidural.

That is lesson number 3 when buying a house in France. If you are pregnant then live near a hospital. Well unless you like pain that is.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

ALBF, LOL!..just saying, but there are doubtless many on here who absolutely, categorically and unequivocally know a LOT more about the pain of childbirth than you can ever know. Why, I even suspect that many will tell you that it is perfectly possible to have a baby without wanting or needing an epidural! Imagine that!
   Report   Reply Quote

" ¿"In answer to the original question, mint; you could substitute "galette des rois " with "mince pies", "Christmas pudding", "Bûche de Noël" or "Christmas cake" and probably find the same. There's a good reason why we are only subjected to these things for the briefest of periods each year. On a purely personal note, I'd make an exception for panettone. That is all.

No, I stay well away from panettone!

We spent many holidays in Sardinia and we learned that if you went to someone's home at Christmas, you took a panettone  It was said by the locals that nobody actually ate these things.  The panettone they received would be taken by them to visit someone else and that someone else would take it to another person's home and so on.  So it's almost a game of pass the panettone!

Apprendre une langue, c'est faire un voyage différent chaque jour.
from Fle pour les curieux
   Report   Reply Quote

Betty said "I even suspect that many will tell you that it is perfectly possible to have a baby without wanting or needing an epidural! Imagine that!"

The epidural was for me ! LOL

Childbirth is very painful for papa's to you know. Especially in the ears. As soon as one stops screaming the other one starts. It's a flippin nightmare if you have a hangover.

ner ner nee ner ner!!
   Report   Reply Quote

@mint.. I never take panettone anywhere. I buy it and eat it in the privacy of my own home where I don't need to share! 😂
   Report   Reply Quote

Most Read

Enter our competitions

Win books, DVDs, travel and even holidays in France in our great competitions! Take a look at our latest competitions…

Enter now

Join us on social media

France magazine
Living France magazine
French Property News magazine